"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Jokes and Games

Old 08-13-2013, 07:12 AM   #4691
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
They say some of the best things. So much fun when patients are just confused and out there, sad when they become angry and aggressive, but usually we can get them to enjoy most of their day.

I'd much rather be demented or have Alzheimer's than have a stroke and be unable to speak or make my needs known.
For us it's sad, but for her it may be the best thing. She's always dreaded getting old, she's never looked or acted her age. My family has previous experience with Alzheimers so that helps. Her assisted living is a very good place, in the town that she grew up in, so when she had to move there, there were lots of familiar faces. It's also a nursing home/skilled care facility for when she needs more care, so the transition should be easy.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #4692
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Endearing, Bakechef!

Having worked at the local nursing home when I was a teen, I remember the sweet old gal who would strip naked and gleefully run out the side door through the wheat field (we always caught her), old Wild Billl, who had a "surprise" for any pretty young thing he would happen to brush up next to, and many others who I was entrusted to feed and help. I loved them all.
During my junior year in high school, I would take care of my great grandmother over night. My grandmother (the one now in assisted living) didn't want to put her mother in a nursing home, so she would hire a day nurse, she would stay with her in the evening then either me or my brother would spend the night with her. Many an evening I'd get woken by her scuffing around, totally naked.... Or I'd wake up to her playing the piano at 2 am. At this point she really didn't know who anyone was except her daughter, but she never forgot how to play that piano. When she finally went to the nursing home, the family donated the piano to the home and she continued to play. She stayed mobile, on her feet until she was 98, she died at 99.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:06 AM   #4693
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Alzheimer's is harder on family and loved ones than it is on the victim. That being said...I'm on my way to work, a place where I am a sister, a daughter, a granddaughter to many folks who love me just because I am there. And I love them all whether they have been streaking in the halls or they are having a bad day. At the end of my day I get to come home, they OTOH live there.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:29 AM   #4694
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Alzheimer's is harder on family and loved ones than it is on the victim. That being said...I'm on my way to work, a place where I am a sister, a daughter, a granddaughter to many folks who love me just because I am there. And I love them all whether they have been streaking in the halls or they are having a bad day. At the end of my day I get to come home, they OTOH live there.
People like you are heroes to me, PF. I've had more than my share of nursing care and the good ones are a treasure.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:33 AM   #4695
Chef Extraordinaire

Old 08-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #4696
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
+1
Dementia of all kinds is very hard on the family. I live with the fear that I will be like my mom s/day.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #4697
Executive Chef

Old 08-13-2013, 06:47 PM   #4698
Executive Chef

Old 08-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #4699
Executive Chef

Old 08-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #4700
Chef Extraordinaire

Oh I like that, MrsLMB!