"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Jokes and Games
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-01-2015, 12:54 PM   #6981
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative View Post
I guess you missed my Never mind.
I saw it. The sentence preceding it makes no sense to me. Honestly - I don't have any idea what you're trying to say.
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 12:56 PM   #6982
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,858
Back to your regularly scheduled funnies
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1446400530112.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	23751  
__________________

__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #6983
Head Chef
 
creative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: UK
Posts: 1,614
Wink

"Laughter is the best medicine....unless you're diabetic
- then it's insulin"
__________________
"All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn't hurt" (Charles M. Shulz)
creative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:34 AM   #6984
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 6,298
This has been going around FB. Isn't it the truth.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	time change.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	23753  
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #6985
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,034
When I was a kid living on the Cape, we got on the school but and watch the sun rising over the Atlantic. But by 3 p.m. it was pitch black out when we got out of school. I remember the teacher Miss Stone would pull down the shades at 2 p.m. every day during the winter months. Our class windows faced east and saw the dark real early. Today I understand why. What third grader wants to go to night school?
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:34 PM   #6986
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,259
Addie, I'm going to guess that Miss Stone pulled those shades down for one of two other reasons: the kids started to gaze out the window instead of pay attention at the end of the school day, or the windows leaked air so bad she was trying to keep some of the cold out. You see, unless the tilt of the earth has changed dramatically since you were a wee one, the earliest sunset in the eastern edge of the Cape is around 4:10 PM.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 10:51 PM   #6987
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,875
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Addie, I'm going to guess that Miss Stone pulled those shades down for one of two other reasons: the kids started to gaze out the window instead of pay attention at the end of the school day, or the windows leaked air so bad she was trying to keep some of the cold out. You see, unless the tilt of the earth has changed dramatically since you were a wee one, the earliest sunset in the eastern edge of the Cape is around 4:10 PM.
That early? That's the earliest sunset in Montreal. I'm pretty sure we are north of Massachusetts.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:38 AM   #6988
Master Chef
 
Cooking Goddess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Body in MA ~ Heart in OH
Posts: 8,259
taxy, I used Eastham, MA as my reference point since it and Chatham both seemed to be pretty "east" and Eastham is the more north of the two. The sunrise/sunset chart I used starts here: http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp You have to select "US cities" and then work your way through other options to get to the monthly calendar. The December calendar shows each day's sunrise and 'set.

Don't forget to factor in that Montreal is further north than MA. Apparently the slant of the sun puts sunset at about the same time for your latitude and Eastham's longitude. Our old hometown in OH is practically due north of Fort Myers Beach in FL, albeit about 1200 north. The difference in sunset times is nearly half an hour at this time of year. The only thing I could learn to like about FL is later sunrises and sunsets.
__________________
... nothing is given. Everything is earned. You work for what you have... ~~~ LeBron James
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 05:33 AM   #6989
Head Chef
 
medtran49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,097
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
. The only thing I could learn to like about FL is later sunrises and sunsets.
Well, it's been pitch black by 6 last 2 nights, not too happy about that.
__________________
medtran49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #6990
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,875
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
taxy, I used Eastham, MA as my reference point since it and Chatham both seemed to be pretty "east" and Eastham is the more north of the two. The sunrise/sunset chart I used starts here: http://www.sunrisesunset.com/calendar.asp You have to select "US cities" and then work your way through other options to get to the monthly calendar. The December calendar shows each day's sunrise and 'set.

Don't forget to factor in that Montreal is further north than MA. Apparently the slant of the sun puts sunset at about the same time for your latitude and Eastham's longitude. Our old hometown in OH is practically due north of Fort Myers Beach in FL, albeit about 1200 north. The difference in sunset times is nearly half an hour at this time of year. The only thing I could learn to like about FL is later sunrises and sunsets.
I forgot that the further east something is in its time zone, the earlier the sunset and sunrise. OTH, if it's the same longitude, then sunset is earlier the further north you go and sunrise is later.

I used Sunrise and Sunset Calculator. It makes a list, instead of a calendar. I found it easier to find the earliest sunset. BTW, the two sites agree on the times I checked.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.