Trivia 3/21

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckytrim

Chef Extraordinaire
trivia 3/21
DID YOU KNOW...
Coral Reefs make up one-tenth of one percent of our oceans, but are home to 25 percent of all of the life in the oceans.

1. In 1961 composer Henry Mancini wrote a piece of music for the 1962 release of the movie 'Hatari!' called "Baby _______ Walk".
2. Name the offspring of a famous Beatle who had a Top Ten hit in the UK with "Too Late For Goodbyes".
3. What is the fourth-largest state in the U.S. in land area, after Alaska, Texas and California ?
4. Where in the world is the autonomous Basque region?
(Looking for the Country ...)
5.What’s the name of the world's most northerly desert?
6. The "Curse of the Billy Goat" affects which Major League Baseball team?
7. In what body of water is Christmas Island ?
a. – Atlantic Ocean
b. – Pacific Ocean
c. – Indian Ocean
d. – Sea of Japan
8. How old was Stevie Wonder when he entered into his first recording contract ?
a. – 11
b. – 12
c. – 13
d. - 14
TRUTH OR CRAP ??
The Queen of Hawaii was overthrown by the Dole Company and other foreign Plantation owners.
1. Elephant
2. Julian Lennon
3. Montana
4. Spain
5. the Gobi Desert
6. Chicago Cubs
7. – c
8. - a

TRUTH !!
In 1893, the Queen of Hawaii, Liliuokalani, was overthrown by the most powerful foreigners on the island, the Euro-American plantation owners and fruit growers (Dole and others), who formed a Provisional Government. US President Grover Cleveland was horrified and sent the Blount Commission to investigate. They ruled that the new Provisional Government was illegal and ordered the Queen restored, but the Provisional Government refused to yield. They then formed the Republic of Hawaii, but yearned for annexation to the U.S.; under William McKinley, Cleveland's successor, they got their wish.

with an internet search - you will find multiple answers, all saying that there are 2 Christmas Islands. I knew there was one in the Pacific and wasn't sure on the second:-

There are actually two Christmas Islands. One in the Indian Ocean, now belonging to Australia, but over 2000 Km from west coast of Australia, but a few hundred kilometers ...south of Java / Indonesia.

The other Christmas Island is situated in the Pacific Ocean.

It was only because many many years ago I found Christmas Island in the Pacific. Our search engines were not as good as they are today, so I knew of the other - just not really where it was.

Think it was something to do with my Dad's stamp collection.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom