"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Jokes and Games

Old 12-08-2005, 07:01 PM   #11
Assistant Cook

1983:

Ronald Reagan is president of the US

Sally Ride becomes the first American woman to travel in space

Marines are killed when a TNT laden suicide terrorists blows up Marine headquarters at Beirut International Airport

US Marines and Rangers invade the island of Grenada and evacuate hundreds of US citizens

The Soviets shoot down Korean Airlines flight 007

The Internet Domain Name System was invented by Paul Mockapetris

Ronald Wilson Reagan signs a bill creating Martin Luther King Day

Baltimore Orioles win the World Series

Washington Redskins win Superbowl XVII

New York Islanders win the Stanley Cup

Return of the Jedi is the top grossing film

"Every Breath You Take" by The Police spends the most time at the top of US charts

The A-Team and Webster premiere

Old 12-08-2005, 07:41 PM   #12
Traveling Welcome Wagon

In 1957 (the year you were born)Dwight Eisenhower is president of the US

First civil rights bill since Reconstruction to protect blacks' voting rights is approved by Congress

Hurricane "Audrey" destroys Cameron, Louisiana killing 390 people

National Guardsmen bar nine black students from entering previously all white Central High School in Little Rock

Russians launch Sputnik I, first earth orbiting satellite

The FBI arrests Jimmy Hoffa and charges him with bribery

Vanna White, Osama bin Laden, Sid Vicious, and Melanie Griffith are born

Milwaukee Brewers win World Series

Detroit Lions win NFL championship

Montreal Canadiens win Stanley Cup

On the Road by Jack Kerouac is published

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss is published

Barbara

Old 12-08-2005, 08:54 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Am I old or what?

Dwight Eisenhower is president of the US

Nautilus, the first atomic powered submarine, launches

Senator Joseph McCarthy begins leading televised hearings into alleged Communist influence in the Army

Roger Bannister, a 25 year old from England, breaks the 4 minute mile with a time of 3:59

Supreme Court rules unanimously that racial segregation in public schools is unconstitutional

Hurricane "Carol" hits the Long Island - New England area killing 60 and injuring 1000

Senate condems Joseph McCarthy for contempt of a Senate elections subcommittee during his Army investigation hearings

Playboy magazine issue features Margie Harrison, the first playmate

Howard Stern, Oprah Winfrey, Christie Brinkley, John Travolta, and Jerry Seinfeld are born

New York Mets win the World Series

Cleveland Browns win the NFL championship

Detroit Red Wings win the Stanley Cup

Lord of the Flies by William G. Golding is published

All of this happened in 1954.
Old 12-08-2005, 09:18 PM   #14
Master Chef

I was born February 11, 1947, the same year that the Aliens landed in Roswell. The dead sea scrolls were discovered that year, India and Pakistan gained theri independence from Britain, Harry Truman was the president, The Taft-Hartley act was passed, the Hollywood 'Black List" was created, Jean-Paul Sartre set forth his philosophy of Existentialism, the diary of Anne Frank was published, the microwave oven was invented, Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier, Tennesse Willian's "Street Car Named Desire" opened on Broadway, with Marlon Brandon playing the lead, and Jackie Robinson joined the Brooklyn Dodgers.
Attached Images

Old 12-10-2005, 02:35 AM   #15
Master Chef

Gerald Ford becomes president of the US

Hank Aaron hits his 715th home run to beat Babe Ruth's record

Impeachment hearings are opened against President Nixon by the House Judiciary Committee

President Nixon resigns

President Gerald Ford issues an unconditional pardon to ex-President Nixon for all federal crimes

Muhammad Ali knocks out George Foreman in the eighth round to regain the heavyweight crown in Zaire (****, that man is old, too.. but still in business *respect*)

Heiress Patty Hearst is kidnapped by and eventually joins the Symbionese Liberation Army

Dungeons & Dragons officially released

People magazine is published for the first time

Kate Moss, Alyson Hannigan, Penelope Cruz, Alanis Morissette, Leonardo DiCaprio, and Ryan Seacrest are born and Robbie.. and me of course...

Oakland Athletics win the World Series

Miami Dolphins win Superbowl VIII

Philadelphia Flyers win the Stanley Cup

Blazing Saddles is the top grossing film

All the President's Men by Bernstein and Woodward is published

"Killing Me Softly With His Song" wins Grammy for song of the year

Germany wins the FIFA World Cup and will do so next year!!
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 02:43 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I was born in the year of the cave man, where the rolling stones were the "rolling Stones". Ok, good night all. The shopping center is open but no one's shopping.
Old 12-10-2005, 05:55 AM   #17
Executive Chef

OK, I'm not giving the details, but I am older than dirt. Like Wasabi, in the dark ages. I can say MUCH progress has been made during my lifetime, of course, I didn't do it, but have been a witness to lots of it. There are now 5 generations of my family living, and I am next to the oldest - the oldest being almost 88, the youngest 2. There are 12 of us (including inlaws). I am the oldest child in my family of 7. My aunts and uncles say I was the favorite grandchild on both sides, but I think that was because I was around my grandparents more than the later children. I don't think it was a matter of being favorite as much as it was forming bonds that perhaps the others didn't have the opportunity to do. I suppose the relationship with my grandparents is part of what has made my relationship with my grandchildren so strong. Not one of them has to wonder how much I love them.
Old 12-10-2005, 07:13 PM   #18
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
In 1976 (the year you were born)Gerald Ford is president of the US

The US celebrates its bicentennial, marking the 200th anniversary of its independence

The Viking II sets down on Mars' Utopia Plains

Promising, "I will never lie to you," Jimmy Carter is elected president of the United States

Israeli commandos rescue hostages from Entebbe, Uganda

The Concorde begins flights from New York to Europe

George W. Bush is arrested and fined for driving under the influence of alcohol

Cray-1, the first commercially developed supercomputer, is invented by Seymour Cray

Freddie Prinze Jr., Reese Witherspoon, Colin Farrell, 50 Cent, Fred Savage, and Shannon Elizabeth are born

Cincinnati Reds win the World Series

Pittsburgh Steelers win Superbowl X

Montreal Canadiens win the Stanley Cup

Rocky is the top grossing film

Filming begins on George Lucas' Star Wars

The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins is published

The Eagles Their Greatest Hits compilation becomes the first album in history to be certified platinum

"Tonight's The Night" by Rod Stewart spends the most time at the top of the US chart

Charlie's Angels and The Muppet Show premiere
Old 12-10-2005, 07:18 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Gerald Ford is president of the US

Evacuation of US civilians from Saigon as Communist forces complete takeover of South Vietnam

FBI agents capture Patty Hearst, who is indicted and convicted of bank robbery

Teamster Jimmy Hoffa disappears without a trace

Marines rescue the crew of the American ship the Mayaguez near Vietnam

First Lady Betty Ford says in an interview that she thinks her children have tried marijuana

Natalie Imbruglia, Drew Barrymore, David Beckham, Enrique Iglesias, Angelina Jolie, and Tiger Woods are born

Cincinnati Reds win the World Series

Pittsburgh Steelers win Superbowl IX

Philadelphia Flyers win the Stanley Cup

Production begins on Star Wars

Jaws and The Rocky Horror Picture Show are the top grossing films

Soul Train premieres on television in the United States

"The Way We Were" (performed by Barbara Streisand) wins the Grammy for best song

Saturday Night Live and Wheel of Fortune premiere
Old 12-10-2005, 07:23 PM   #20
Executive Chef

1951 Peace Treaty between Japan and Allies A peace treaty was signed between Japan and all the belligerents, with the exception of the USSR, Czechoslovakia and Poland. Under the terms of the treaty, Japan was forced to give up all its overseas territory.1951 King Abdulah assassinatedKing Abdullah of Jordan (formerly Transjordan) was assassinated while praying at the Al Aksa Mosque in Jerusalem. Abdullah had been engaging in secret negotiations with Israel and was killed by a Palestinian extremist. Abdullah was succeeded by his son Emir Talal, who was later declared mentally ill. His son, Crown Prince Ibn Talal Hussein, took over, and ruled Jordan until his death in 1999.1951 H- BombOn May 12, the United States detonated a hydrogen bomb on an island in the Pacific. The hydrogen bomb is many times more powerful than an atomic bomb. The Russian development of an A–bomb convinced the US to proceed with development of the H–bomb.1951 First Electronic ComputerThe Remington Rand Corporation unveiled the first commercial digital computer, called the "UNIVAC" (Universal Automatic Computer). The "UNIVAC" followed the experimental "ENIAC," which had been developed in 1945. The first "UNIVAC" was sold to the Census Bureau.1951 Color TV IntroducedCBS introduced the first color television broadcast. The broadcast took place in 5 American cities, and CBS began producing two and a half hours a day. 1951 US Airforce Orders B- 52 BomberThe US Airforce ordered production models of the B-52 Bomber from Boeing. The B-52 was set to replace the B-36 Bomber. It has eight engines and a total bomb load of 50,000 pounds. The B-52 can fly non-stop for a total of 15,000 miles.