15 Bean Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Timothy

Head Chef
I put this into the crock pot last night at 2am. Got up this morning at 9:30am and the house smelled fantastic!

1 pound of Hurst's HamBeens Brand 15 bean Soup Mix
4 med-lrg Smoked Hocks
1 quart of vegetable soup stock
2 small cans of diced tomatoes w/green pepper and onion added after beans were cooked 8 hours.
2 large white onions
2 small cans of sweet corn
1 tablespoon of Old Bay Seasoning
1 tablespoon of Weber's Mesquite Seasoning

Let it cook all night and took out the hocks in the morning and removed the bones, then added the fat, skin and meat back into the soup.

then I added the tomatoes

I'm going to let it cook until suppertime this evening and have it with some cornbread.

Sounds delicious except for adding the fat back in. But I've never cooked ham hocks.

Ham Hocks aren't much of anything but skin and fat. Lots of flavor in them when added to a soup or batch of beans like this.

I can't wait any longer to try them. I'm going to mix up some corn bread batter and get it in the oven right now!

My belly is growling.

Smoked hocks provide great flavor to a bean soup. However, you will have a substantial amount of fat to deal with.

sounds great
I made 13 bean soup last week

bag of 13 bean dry beans
2 large ham hocks
chopped celery, green pepper, onion, garlic, carrots
bay leaves and a sprig of thyme, salt and pepper
water to cover all ( thought i still had stock in freezer)
I cooked the hocks first for about 1/2 hr and then added the veggies
took meat off the bones added back to soup
was going to add can of tomatoes but whe i tasted it i changed my mind as it was delious.

I love the taste though with the real fat though. If I had a preference I would use real ham hocks.

Last edited:
Just finished a big bowl with two large pieces of cornbread smothered in butter.

OMG, it was really good. Put four quarts in the fridge. I have to rearrange the freezer tomorrow to fit it in there.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom