15 bean soup question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

schoolgirl

Senior Cook
This might not be the right place to post this, but I bought a bag of the dried beans and have never cooked this type before. It calls for sausage and garlic added. What type of sausage would that be? I have cooked a lot of pintos,northern and so on but not this kind. Any suggestions on what I could add? :ermm:Thanks, Faye

Probably bulk pork sausage, but I'd bypass the sausage and use a smoked pork/ham hock instead. I think you'd get much better flavor. That's just my preference. There'll be more responses I'm sure.

By the way, you posted in the right place.

Don't "over-think" it Faye - it's just bean soup. Smoked ham hocks (or smoked turkey wings/legs) or ham would work fine. For "sausage" something like kilbasa, andouille ... your choice of sausage (meat) will affect the taste of the dish. But - it's not critical - it will all be good.

Katie, I am glad you reminded me I have a piece of ham in the freezer. It was put in there just for beans and I had forgot it.
By the way I love your name. I have twin grandchildren ( boy and girl) Her name is Katie and his Kyle(that is short for their names.)

Katie, I am glad you reminded me I have a piece of ham in the freezer. It was put in there just for beans and I had forgot it.
By the way I love your name. I have twin grandchildren ( boy and girl) Her name is Katie and his Kyle(that is short for their names.)

Thank you, my dear. Had my name for over 50 years and have gotten quite used to it by now.:ROFLMAO: Enjoy those wonderful grandchildren.

Michael's suggestions were spot on, too. Keep your eye out for smoked turkey pieces. They're a delicious lower-fat way to add flavor. Properly packaged, they freeze well, too.

Back
Top Bottom