Adding carrot to tomato soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redmike

Senior Cook
Most of you experts probably know this but I found it interesting.

I made this simple soup last week and it was delicious.

Tomato Soup for Two

1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 lbs ripe tomatoes (I used Dry-Farmed Early Girls), roughly chopped
1 c. homemade chicken stock
2 sprigs fresh marjoram
5-6 leaves fresh basil, chopped
1/2 - 1 c. heavy cream
Heat butter and olive oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven or other heavy pot.
Add onion and saute for 1 minute; add carrot, salt & pepper to taste, and saute for 2 minutes more.
Add roughly chopped tomatoes (do not seed or peel), crushing lightly between your fingers.
Add the stock and herbs; reduce heat to medium. Let simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until the tomatoes are softened and have released all their juice. Re-season, if necessary.
Remove the soup to a strainer or food mill. If using a strainer, allow the solids to drain for at least 10 minutes, stirring and pressing every couple of minutes.
Add the cream to the strained soup, and serve.

The day before yesterday I made the same soup but without the carrots because I didn't have any. The soup tasted much sourer (it might be that the tomatoes were sourer too) so today I added just one pureed carrot and the soup was back to being great again.

I was amazed at how just one carrot could change the taste of the soup so dramatically.

regards,

Michael

Carrots have a natural sweetness that compliments acidic veggies such as tomato. Mire poix, a combination of one part carrots, one part celery and two parts onion, is a classic starting point for many sauces, soups and stews as it provides a solid base of flavors that enhance a dish without taking over the dish with their individual flavors.

Thanks Andy.

45 years ago when I left school I wanted to become a saucier but life took me in a different direction and I ended up cutting films for 30 years instead of mustard :)

I always liked to cook but now that I have retired I want to learn what I didn't learn all those years ago.

Mike

Sholom Aleichem Mike. Welcome to DC.
I always add couple of carots to my tomato soup. I only wish I has those wondefull fresh tomatoes I had in Israel. Tomatoes here, in Minnesota taste like piece of plastic or ruber,whichever one is worse.

Nah! Tomatoes are ok for about a week in August!

Then back to plastic.

For me, the ingredient that makes the soup is the basil. I usually add carrots too, but I never have tomato soup without basil!

Is the rosemary not a little tough? Or do you grind it up? I find that whole rosemary, unless it has time to simmer, just ends up being tough like pine needles.

I puree the soup after cooking. You can also add the rosemary in a sprig and just pull it out or wrap it in some cheesecloth...

Nah! Tomatoes are ok for about a week in August!

Then back to plastic.

Not far from true, Suzie! Here in Jersey we grow the best tomatoes in the USA, and we're pretty lucky most years to have good local ones from August into October. Then it's back to roasting the pink hockey pucks before trying to use them, and/or, as redmike discovered, adding carrots to enhance their sweetness.

I don't usually make Tomato Soup after October... did it once and was very disappointed. but I sure do love it!

I don't know about that, Chef June. I think our southern Illinois tomatoes are the best!
Too bad we can't exchange tomatoes next August. I don't think they'd go through the mail very well, though. :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom