Almost instant French onion soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my comment was meant to be strictly off-the-cuff. but taxy, how did you find bolas' post from last year? did you specifically remember it and then do a search?

i know that some people don't like to have threads dredged up from years ago. i know this because when i was first new at dc, i did some of it myself if the subject was of special interest. actually, there is a wealth of archived information to be found in dc's files, for anyone with the time to peruse it....

and by all means, let's not let a treasure like bolas get away from us at dc, either.

Last edited:
my comment was meant to be strictly off-the-cuff. but taxy, how did you find bolas' post from last year? did you specifically remember it and then do a search?

i know that some people don't like to have threads dredged up from years ago. i know this because when i was first new at dc, i did some of it myself if the subject was of special interest. actually, there is a wealth of archived information to be found in dc's files, for anyone with the time to peruse it....

and by all means, let's not let a treasure like bolas get away from us at dc, either.
I remembered it and searched. He also mentions his "onion goop" in a more recent thread. He says he has simplified his method and now just throws only sliced onions in the crock pot, no butter, nothing else. He mentions that the onions are kinda pale, so he quickly fries them up before use, to give them some colour.

I remembered it and searched. He also mentions his "onion goop" in a more recent thread. He says he has simplified his method and now just throws only sliced onions in the crock pot, no butter, nothing else. He mentions that the onions are kinda pale, so he quickly fries them up before use, to give them some colour.

Thanks for bringing this up, TL :) I don't remember seeing the post by Bolas. Good to know I won't need to use all that butter! I think I will add a glug of evoo and a splash of balsamic vinegar, though, to help with the color and add some flavor. And a big pinch of salt.

I was thinking of a little soy sauce. I love onions with a splash of soy.

My thoughts too, Pac. I would rather use soy sauce than Balsamic. But, I grew up with soy sauce in everything.

PrincessFiona60 said:
My thoughts too, Pac. I would rather use soy sauce than Balsamic. But, I grew up with soy sauce in everything.

We call soy sauce black salt. Yum.

So caramelized onions in a crock pot method aside, And of course some cheese and croutons would have to find their way into my crock, how does the rest of this recipe look?
I've never made French onion soup and it surprised me to see the use of chicken instead of beef broth. Would the red wine and chicken broth suffice?

So caramelized onions in a crock pot method aside, And of course some cheese and croutons would have to find their way into my crock, how does the rest of this recipe look?
I've never made French onion soup and it surprised me to see the use of chicken instead of beef broth. Would the red wine and chicken broth suffice?
I have only made it once. I followed Julia Child's recipe. It calls for beef stock, dry French vermouth (I used Italian vermouth - can't get the French one anymore.), and brandy. I will be experimenting next time. I thought there was too much booze in it!

I wouldn't put the croutons and cheese in the crock pot. I would take the soup out of the pot and put it in some kind of oven proof bowl or a Dutch oven and then float toasted bread and cheese on top of the hot soup and broil it until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.

I have only made it once. I followed Julia Child's recipe. It calls for beef stock, dry French vermouth (I used Italian vermouth - can't get the French one anymore.), and brandy. I will be experimenting next time. I thought there was too much booze in it!

I wouldn't put the croutons and cheese in the crock pot. I would take the soup out of the pot and put it in some kind of oven proof bowl or a Dutch oven and then float toasted bread and cheese on top of the hot soup and broil it until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.

My ex made it once and I know she used cognac... It was alright.

I thought they called the bowls French onion soup is baked in crocks. I didn't mean I was going to add the cheese and croutons to the crock pot. Maybe my terminology is off.

I don't use any booze in my French Onion soup, but I do use a good beef stock, garlic toasts and fresh cheese for the top.

My ex made it once and I know she used cognac... It was alright.

I thought they called the bowls French onion soup is baked in crocks. I didn't mean I was going to add the cheese and croutons to the crock pot. Maybe my terminology is off.
The bowls might be called crocks. I don't know. :LOL: I misunderstood you. I had visions of you adding the croutons and cheese to the crock pot. :ohmy:

That would be a cheesy, mooky mess, Taxy :LOL:

I suppose since it's only "semi-instant" it can be played with. Maybe whatever broth I have opened in the fridge, but I'm leaning towards beef ;)
My goal is to take a mini-puck and add the rest of the ingredients, then bake it. Something I could throw together in five minutes and let the oven do the rest.

That would be a cheesy, mooky mess, Taxy :LOL:

I suppose since it's only "semi-instant" it can be played with. Maybe whatever broth I have opened in the fridge, but I'm leaning towards beef ;)
My goal is to take a mini-puck and add the rest of the ingredients, then bake it. Something I could throw together in five minutes and let the oven do the rest.

Once the onions are caramelized, all you really have to do is simmer with the liquids for a few minutes then add the croutons and cheese and under the broiler to melt the cheese.

Once the onions are caramelized, all you really have to do is simmer with the liquids for a few minutes then add the croutons and cheese and under the broiler to melt the cheese.

Thanks. Sounds like the toaster oven will work perfectly then. I can simmer everything on low, then add the cheese and croutons and crank it up to broil.

Thanks. Sounds like the toaster oven will work perfectly then. I can simmer everything on low, then add the cheese and croutons and crank it up to broil.

I do the simmering on the stovetop but a toaster oven will do the trick.

I cooked up "ramen" soup for Shrek. Cooked the chicken with the soy sauce, divided into 2 ounce portions and then the cooked noodles, divided in to servings. Froze each in ziplocks and all he has to do is toss it in a bowl add a cup of water and, ta da in the microwave...soup!

can't wait to make my first potful of 'almost instant' next week! i'll be following the recipe, and adding soy sauce to the pot. to the chicken broth i'll be adding beef consommé, for its robust beefiness, oh yea, and splashes of Beaujolais wine (only not too much, ya gotta leave enough for drinking) to bring it all home. oh yeah, it's gonna be killer! :)

Back
Top Bottom