"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 11-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #21
Executive Chef
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: va by way of upstate ny
Posts: 4,442
my comment was meant to be strictly off-the-cuff. but taxy, how did you find bolas' post from last year? did you specifically remember it and then do a search?

i know that some people don't like to have threads dredged up from years ago. i know this because when i was first new at dc, i did some of it myself if the subject was of special interest. actually, there is a wealth of archived information to be found in dc's files, for anyone with the time to peruse it....

and by all means, let's not let a treasure like bolas get away from us at dc, either.
__________________

__________________
vitauta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
my comment was meant to be strictly off-the-cuff. but taxy, how did you find bolas' post from last year? did you specifically remember it and then do a search?

i know that some people don't like to have threads dredged up from years ago. i know this because when i was first new at dc, i did some of it myself if the subject was of special interest. actually, there is a wealth of archived information to be found in dc's files, for anyone with the time to peruse it....

and by all means, let's not let a treasure like bolas get away from us at dc, either.
I remembered it and searched. He also mentions his "onion goop" in a more recent thread. He says he has simplified his method and now just throws only sliced onions in the crock pot, no butter, nothing else. He mentions that the onions are kinda pale, so he quickly fries them up before use, to give them some colour.
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 04:08 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I remembered it and searched. He also mentions his "onion goop" in a more recent thread. He says he has simplified his method and now just throws only sliced onions in the crock pot, no butter, nothing else. He mentions that the onions are kinda pale, so he quickly fries them up before use, to give them some colour.
Thanks for bringing this up, TL I don't remember seeing the post by Bolas. Good to know I won't need to use all that butter! I think I will add a glug of evoo and a splash of balsamic vinegar, though, to help with the color and add some flavor. And a big pinch of salt.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:53 PM   #24
Sous Chef
 
Chef Maloney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: S.California
Posts: 455
I am sooooo doing this. (with butter & sugar) :>)
__________________
Chef Maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:47 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
I was thinking of a little soy sauce. I love onions with a splash of soy.
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #26
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,305
My thoughts too, Pac. I would rather use soy sauce than Balsamic. But, I grew up with soy sauce in everything.
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:26 PM   #27
Executive Chef
 
chopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Colorado
Posts: 4,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
My thoughts too, Pac. I would rather use soy sauce than Balsamic. But, I grew up with soy sauce in everything.
We call soy sauce black salt. Yum.
__________________
No matter where I serve my guests, it seems they like my kitchen best!
chopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
So caramelized onions in a crock pot method aside, And of course some cheese and croutons would have to find their way into my crock, how does the rest of this recipe look?
I've never made French onion soup and it surprised me to see the use of chicken instead of beef broth. Would the red wine and chicken broth suffice?
__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,894
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
So caramelized onions in a crock pot method aside, And of course some cheese and croutons would have to find their way into my crock, how does the rest of this recipe look?
I've never made French onion soup and it surprised me to see the use of chicken instead of beef broth. Would the red wine and chicken broth suffice?
I have only made it once. I followed Julia Child's recipe. It calls for beef stock, dry French vermouth (I used Italian vermouth - can't get the French one anymore.), and brandy. I will be experimenting next time. I thought there was too much booze in it!

I wouldn't put the croutons and cheese in the crock pot. I would take the soup out of the pot and put it in some kind of oven proof bowl or a Dutch oven and then float toasted bread and cheese on top of the hot soup and broil it until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I have only made it once. I followed Julia Child's recipe. It calls for beef stock, dry French vermouth (I used Italian vermouth - can't get the French one anymore.), and brandy. I will be experimenting next time. I thought there was too much booze in it!

I wouldn't put the croutons and cheese in the crock pot. I would take the soup out of the pot and put it in some kind of oven proof bowl or a Dutch oven and then float toasted bread and cheese on top of the hot soup and broil it until the cheese is bubbly and starting to brown.
My ex made it once and I know she used cognac... It was alright.

I thought they called the bowls French onion soup is baked in crocks. I didn't mean I was going to add the cheese and croutons to the crock pot. Maybe my terminology is off.
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.