Almost instant French onion soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, they will be plugged in to the outside plug thing! Thanks greatly to you and Pac!

Frankly Pac, I think this is summer crock pot idea for many people. I gotta hand it to you. There's just no way I could tolerate smelling those crock pot onions in the house for 20 hours and for three days after they're cooked. What did your dog have to say? :huh: Is he looking for a new home?
:ROFLMAO:

I was actually quite surprised it didn't seem to affect my dogs at all. What with their sense of smell and all.

With a packet of the perfectly caramelized onions I made not only the best FOS I've ever made, but the best French Onion Soup I've ever tasted anywhere!

I simmered them in about 1/2 cup of Merlot for a few minutes and then added a strong beef broth made with "Better than Bouillon" concentrate, and brought to the boil. I made French bread croutons for the top and grated a ton of real Gruyere cheese over the croutons and broiled in my toaster oven.

Attachments

• PC050539.jpg
    PC050539.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 136
With a packet of the perfectly caramelized onions I made not only the best FOS I've ever made, but the best French Onion Soup I've ever tasted anywhere!

I simmered them in about 1/2 cup of Merlot for a few minutes and then added a strong beef broth made with "Better than Bouillon" concentrate, and brought to the boil. I made French bread croutons for the top and grated a ton of real Gruyere cheese over the croutons and broiled in my toaster oven.
Looks delicious. I'm glad to hear it turned out so well.

Why is it winter now and I can't cook outside? Need to cook up these onions. I could use the Occupational Therapy kitchen...:devilish:

OMG, Kayelle, that looks fantastic! Well worth the work! (needing drool rag....)

:LOL:
Now there's a thought. I share an underground garage with ~20 other condos. There are a few electrical outlets. It would take them forever to figure out where the smell was coming from. Hmmm I only like a few of my neighbours...

They would be expensive caramelized onions for me...have to get the Dawg's house first.

I can use an outlet insert in the porch light, set it outside wrapped in a blanket. I think that might be considered a fire hazard though.

They would be expensive caramelized onions for me...have to get the Dawg's house first.

I can use an outlet insert in the porch light, set it outside wrapped in a blanket. I think that might be considered a fire hazard though.
I have an outdoor outlet. Like you, I thought of a blanket and then thought of fire hazard.

...I can use an outlet insert in the porch light, set it outside wrapped in a blanket. I think that might be considered a fire hazard though.

I have an outdoor outlet. Like you, I thought of a blanket and then thought of fire hazard.

You could put your CP in the grill. Before some wise guy has a chance to "comment", don't turn on the grill.

Why is it winter now and I can't cook outside? Need to cook up these onions. I could use the Occupational Therapy kitchen...:devilish:

Who said you can't cook outside? There are folks here that cook outside all year round. Just keep a warm coat near the door. It is not like you are going to be standing out there while everything cooks. All you are going to do after you prepare the grill is just keep an eye on the food. :angel:

Addie, it's the crock pot that needs a winter coat outside for 20 hours, not PF.;)

Good idea about the grill Andy. Wrap up the CP in a blanket and close the lid on the grill, right? With the unlikely case that the blanket catchs fire it would be safely confined inside.

I see that it will be down to 14 degrees tonight for PF. Brrrrrrr........

You might not need the blanket, the grill cover should protect the CP against moisture and keep the heat in. Maybe a foil wrap would provide some insulation if you think it's necessary.

You might not need the blanket, the grill cover should protect the CP against moisture and keep the heat in. Maybe a foil wrap would provide some insulation if you think it's necessary.

Good point Dawg. Shows how much I know about cold weather.
Yet another thought, I wonder how it would work to put the CP inside one of those special cooking bags some people use for cooking turkey? This might work for you, Taxi, since you don't have a grill with a lid.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom