"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 01-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #11
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That sounds like a wonderful soup, thanks for the recipe and the calorie count!

Old 01-09-2013, 01:04 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

wow this sounds good!!! thanks skittle. c&p'd.

i really like celery, so i'm inclined to even add a little more freshly chopped celery along with the blue cheese crumbles on top just before serving for added texture..

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #13
Master Chef

I actually do not have problem with celery taste it is the texture that I hate.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
wow this sounds good!!! thanks skittle. c&p'd.

i really like celery, so i'm inclined to even add a little more freshly chopped celery along with the blue cheese crumbles on top just before serving for added texture..
One thing I love about soup is how versatile it is. Want more or less celery? Sounds great! Like to sauté your veggies before adding the broth? Be my guest! A dash of cayenne pepper? Sure! Home made broth? Great! Store bought broth? Wow, done in a flash! Big pieces, small pieces, thick, thin, chunky, delicate, spicy, mild... The list goes on. With just a list of ingredients, no measurements, even most novice cooks can come up with a tasty soup. The main reason I listed the exact amounts I used was because I took the time to figure the calories. A lot of novice cooks are more comfortable starting with an exact recipe too, so that's a nice bonus for newer soup makers. Adapt it and make it your own to your heart's content. I just loved this soup so much I had to beat the recipe out of our chef at work (ok, I just asked nicely :p ) and I was sure someone else on here would appreciate the uniqueness of it.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #15
Master Chef

I don't even like chicken but this looks yummy! Maybe I'll make it and fish out the chicken pieces for mine or just use a good chicken stock and leave the chicken?

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #16
Sous Chef

This looks great. Any suggestions what I could use in place of blue cheese crumbles?
Old 01-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #17
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
This looks great. Any suggestions what I could use in place of blue cheese crumbles?
Hmmm... Some chopped up croutons? Ranch is garlicky right? Some people like buffalo and ranch, and croutons have garlic.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:21 AM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
oops, lost me at celery, hate that stuff
Sounds good though.
Since you dislike the celery texture, and Andy, I assume you have issues with the flavor, celery seed, or celery root (celriac) both would make good substitutions for the celery. You would get the flavor, but be able to control it to your own tastes, and lose the celery chunks to boot. And since celery flavor is required for this soup, you wouldn't be straying too far from the original recipe.

And Skittle, thanks for the recipe. This looks great. I might just have to take it to a pot luck one of these days, as I know my DW couldn't eat it because of the hot sauce. And I think I'd use Sriracha in mine. Like you said, it's soup. And I'm not crazy about Frank's. It's too vinegary for me.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Since you dislike the celery texture, and Andy, I assume you have issues with the flavor...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When celery is cooked like this as part of a flavor base, you don't really taste it directly. I also dislike celery but have no issue with it used this way. I think you could leave it out all together without harming the recipe.
Not always, Chief.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:09 AM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Skittle, I copied this recipe as in a weak moment SO said it sounded good despite it's being a cream soup (which she dislikes). I'm looking forward to making it.

Tags
None