Amazing buffalo chicken soup recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skittle68

Sous Chef
I've been meaning to make this soup for awhile now, and the mediocre chicken I made the other day inspired me to make it to use up all the leftover meat, and carcass. It's so wonderful- if you like the flavor of buffalo chicken, you should try it. It's also nice because you can control how spicy or mild you would like it to be.

image-829165731.jpg

Buffalo chicken soup

3 cups (430 g) chopped celery
2 cups (290 g) chopped onion
2 red bell peppers, chopped (345 g)
1 cup (112 g) shredded sharp cheddar
1 cup (112 g) shredded pepper jack
20 oz diced chicken
2 quarts chicken broth
2 cups (437 ml) heavy cream
4-5 minced garlic cloves
1/2 cup Frank's Red Hot (or other cayenne sauce), or to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Flour or cornstarch for thickening (optional)
Blue cheese crumbles

Boil veggies in broth until tender. Meanwhile, in saucepan, bring heavy cream to a boil. Whisk in cheese until smooth. Add chicken, cream sauce, garlic, salt and pepper, and Frank's Red Hot. Thicken with cornstarch (mixed with water), or a flour roux if desired.

Garnish with blue cheese crumbles

Makes about 18 cups, 200 calories per cup, if made with given measurements. I used cornstarch to thicken, so if you used butter for a roux you would have to factor that it too, unless you used a dry roux.

The heavy cream has 1500 calories, so you could drastically reduce the calories if you made a cream sauce with milk and flour roux instead of the heavy cream. I will probably do that next time. With how flavorful the soup is, it probably wouldn't even be noticeable. I knew it wasn't health food, but holy crap!! Oh, and the grams are my personal measurements, not necessarily what would generally be accepted as an average weight, or an accurate conversion rate from cups to grams. I just measured and weighed to make it easier to figure out the calories.

Hope you enjoy!

Last edited:
Lol! Not sure what you could replace it with in this recipe either- it kind of goes with the whole buffalo theme

When celery is cooked like this as part of a flavor base, you don't really taste it directly. I also dislike celery but have no issue with it used this way. I think you could leave it out all together without harming the recipe.

When celery is cooked like this as part of a flavor base, you don't really taste it directly. I also dislike celery but have no issue with it used this way. I think you could leave it out all together without harming the recipe.
You could do that, or maybe use way less, and add a little extra onion and red pepper.

Maybe a good sprinkling of cilantro?
:ROFLMAO:

It looks and sounds good skittles! I like the red pepper for color.

Maybe a good sprinkling of cilantro?
:ROFLMAO:

It looks and sounds good skittles! I like the red pepper for color.

I like that its something different. I never would have thought to make soup like this til I had it at work. They always have the coolest soups, like cream of mushroom and blue cheese. Yum!

I almost bought roquefort cheese to sprinkle on top, but it was more than twice as expensive. I really would like to try it some time tho. Should I have bought it? Is it worth it?

I don't think it's worth it, but I'm not a cheese connoisseur.
I like Gorgonzola because it seems stronger than no-name or Danish blue (bleu) cheese.

I don't think it's worth it, but I'm not a cheese connoisseur.
I like Gorgonzola because it seems stronger than no-name or Danish blue (bleu) cheese.

I'm not a huge Gorgonzola fan. Too sour for me I think. So maybe I wouldn't like Roquefort after all?

wow this sounds good!!! thanks skittle. c&p'd.

i really like celery, so i'm inclined to even add a little more freshly chopped celery along with the blue cheese crumbles on top just before serving for added texture..

Last edited:
wow this sounds good!!! thanks skittle. c&p'd.

i really like celery, so i'm inclined to even add a little more freshly chopped celery along with the blue cheese crumbles on top just before serving for added texture..

One thing I love about soup is how versatile it is. Want more or less celery? Sounds great! Like to sauté your veggies before adding the broth? Be my guest! A dash of cayenne pepper? Sure! Home made broth? Great! Store bought broth? Wow, done in a flash! Big pieces, small pieces, thick, thin, chunky, delicate, spicy, mild... The list goes on. With just a list of ingredients, no measurements, even most novice cooks can come up with a tasty soup. The main reason I listed the exact amounts I used was because I took the time to figure the calories. A lot of novice cooks are more comfortable starting with an exact recipe too, so that's a nice bonus for newer soup makers. Adapt it and make it your own to your heart's content. I just loved this soup so much I had to beat the recipe out of our chef at work (ok, I just asked nicely :p ) and I was sure someone else on here would appreciate the uniqueness of it.

I don't even like chicken but this looks yummy! Maybe I'll make it and fish out the chicken pieces for mine or just use a good chicken stock and leave the chicken?

This looks great. Any suggestions what I could use in place of blue cheese crumbles? :angel:

oops, lost me at celery, hate that stuff ;)
Sounds good though.

Since you dislike the celery texture, and Andy, I assume you have issues with the flavor, celery seed, or celery root (celriac) both would make good substitutions for the celery. You would get the flavor, but be able to control it to your own tastes, and lose the celery chunks to boot. And since celery flavor is required for this soup, you wouldn't be straying too far from the original recipe.

And Skittle, thanks for the recipe. This looks great. I might just have to take it to a pot luck one of these days, as I know my DW couldn't eat it because of the hot sauce. And I think I'd use Sriracha in mine. Like you said, it's soup. And I'm not crazy about Frank's. It's too vinegary for me.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Since you dislike the celery texture, and Andy, I assume you have issues with the flavor...

Not always, Chief.

Skittle, I copied this recipe as in a weak moment SO said it sounded good despite it's being a cream soup (which she dislikes). I'm looking forward to making it.

Back
Top Bottom