"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 03-30-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Master Chef

Another Creamy Potato Soup

Rich Potato Soup

Let me preface this by saying that Annie's soup looks wonderful, and that this recipe in no way competes with hers. It is simply another version to add to your recipe collection. It differs in that a roux is used to thicken the soup into a creamy and wonderful texture. Enjoy. I know that we did, as well as the others who shared this with me.

This thick, rich soup combines the smoky flavor of bacon, ham, and veggies in a luxuriously creamy base that is sure to warm you to your toes in these cold winter nights. Serve with buttered bread or your favorite crackers, and a good herbal tea.

Before we start, I’m going to say this one time. We use bacon grease in this recipe. It is lower in cholesterol than is butter, and adds an unbeatable flavor to the soup.

Ingredients:
2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 medium sized yellow onion, peeled and diced
1 stalk celery, washed and sliced
5 tbs. bacon greese
1 cup cubed ham
3 tbs. flour
12 oz. condensed (canned) milk
1 cup fresh milk (2%)
¼ tsp. liquid smoke

Add 1 tbs. bacon grease to a large sauce pan and melt over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and stir for 1 minute. Add the potatoes and stir. Cook over medium heat, stirring every two to three minutes until the potatoes just start to brown. Add ½ cup of water and cover. Cook for 15 minutes.

While the potatoes are cooking, place the remaining grease into a small frying pan and melt over medium heat. Add the flour and stir until combined. Cook for two to three minutes, stirring every half minute or so, until the flour just starts to brown. You have just made what is called, a roux. Remove from the heat. Remove the pot lid and pour the roux into the potato, onion, celery mixture and stir. Add the canned milk while stirring and let come to a slow boil over medium heat. When the soup has thickened, add the fresh milk, and liquid smoke, and stir until it is incorporated into the soup. Add the ham and stir in. Serve piping hot.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
Senior Cook

GW-That looks really good! I bet that Liquid Smoke really adds a boost of flavor. My son asked for potato soup over the weekend....I may have to make a pot before it gets too warm outside.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Sounds wonderful, GW. Printed out to try. Thanks.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I did print this out and try it last night, with the exception of a couple minor changes, like using redskins instead of yukon and my condensed milk being 14oz. I have a couple of questions.
Is this soup supposed to be "stand your spoon up in it" thick? I ended up adding twice as much milk just to get it somewhat soup-like. It did not need thickened at all after adding the condensed milk to it, as it was already pretty thick from the roux. And the condensed milk did nothing to thin it out.
And that leads me to my other question... by condensed milk did you mean evaporated milk? That's my big question.
By all accounts, when referring to condensed milk in the United States you are talking about the sweetened variety. I Googled it just to make sure I was on the same page. Europe's condensed milk is unsweetened and ours is sweetened. I had thought the sweetness would have been tamed by the bacon flavor and liquid smoke, but I ended up adding 3x the LS, smoked paprika and red pepper flakes and it was still like eating dessert, lol.

Talk to me GW. Something went wrong somewhere with the consistency and taste.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #5
Master Chef

Looks good Chief :)
We don't get Yukon Gold here, what else can I use?

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I did print this out and try it last night, with the exception of a couple minor changes, like using redskins instead of yukon and my condensed milk being 14oz. I have a couple of questions.
Is this soup supposed to be "stand your spoon up in it" thick? I ended up adding twice as much milk just to get it somewhat soup-like. It did not need thickened at all after adding the condensed milk to it, as it was already pretty thick from the roux. And the condensed milk did nothing to thin it out.
And that leads me to my other question... by condensed milk did you mean evaporated milk? That's my big question.
By all accounts, when referring to condensed milk in the United States you are talking about the sweetened variety. I Googled it just to make sure I was on the same page. Europe's condensed milk is unsweetened and ours is sweetened. I had thought the sweetness would have been tamed by the bacon flavor and liquid smoke, but I ended up adding 3x the LS, smoked paprika and red pepper flakes and it was still like eating dessert, lol.

Talk to me GW. Something went wrong somewhere with the consistency and taste.
It probably is evaporated. He posted another recipe not long ago that was supposed to use evaporated but he put condensed milk as the ingredient and had to post a correction. He's also mixed the two up while making scalloped potatoes. For the record, they weren't terrible, but scalloped potatoes are much better with evaporated milk than condensed. I've got to call him this morning anyway so I'll tell him to log in and clarify.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
It probably is evaporated. He posted another recipe not long ago that was supposed to use evaporated but he put condensed milk as the ingredient and had to post a correction. He's also mixed the two up while making scalloped potatoes. For the record, they weren't terrible, but scalloped potatoes are much better with evaporated milk than condensed. I've got to call him this morning anyway so I'll tell him to log in and clarify.
Thanks for saying something.
It didn't sound far off the mark. I thought maybe a little sweetness was what he was calling richness, or would develop into a richness, but it didn't add a little sweetness, it added an overwhelming sweetness
I've never used evaporated milk in anything, so I'll just assume it isn't as thick as condensed either.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Thanks for saying something.
It didn't sound far off the mark. I thought maybe a little sweetness was what he was calling richness, or would develop into a richness, but it didn't add a little sweetness, it added an overwhelming sweetness
I've never used evaporated milk in anything, so I'll just assume it isn't as thick as condensed either.
My bad. You are absolutely correct. Use evaporated milk. I don't know why I get those two product names mixed up. Condensed milk is evaporated milk with a whole bunch of sugar. It is very sweet and thick. In fact, if you place a can of it into boiling water for a half hour or so, it turns into a caramelized desert that I can't remember the name of right now.

Evaporated mil, on the other hand, is a milk product from which a large amount of water has been evaporated out of. It has a very rich milk flavor, and isn't nearly so thick and syrupy as is condensed milk. Sorry about that everyone.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North View Post
My bad. You are absolutely correct. Use evaporated milk. I don't know why I get those two product names mixed up...
Well dear sir, my advice to you is to make this recipe using condensed milk.
Guaranteed you will not mix the two up again.

You can't say I don't follow a recipe
Old 08-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #10
Master Chef

If you boil condensed milk it turns into this Caramel Treat

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bacon grease, flour, potatp, recipe, soup

Another Creamy Potato Soup Rich Potato Soup Let me preface this by saying that Annie's soup looks wonderful, and that this recipe in no way competes with hers. It is simply another version to add to your recipe collection. It differs in that a roux is used to thicken the soup into a creamy and wonderful texture. Enjoy. I know that we did, as well as the others who shared this with me. This thick, rich soup combines the smoky flavor of bacon, ham, and veggies in a luxuriously creamy base that is sure to warm you to your toes in these cold winter nights. Serve with buttered bread or your favorite crackers, and a good herbal tea. Before we start, I’m going to say this one time. We use bacon grease in this recipe. It is lower in cholesterol than is butter, and adds an unbeatable flavor to the soup. Ingredients: 2 large Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cubed 1 medium sized yellow onion, peeled and diced 1 stalk celery, washed and sliced 5 tbs. bacon greese 1 cup cubed ham 3 tbs. flour 12 oz. condensed (canned) milk 1 cup fresh milk (2%) ¼ tsp. liquid smoke Add 1 tbs. bacon grease to a large sauce pan and melt over medium heat. Add the onion and celery and stir for 1 minute. Add the potatoes and stir. Cook over medium heat, stirring every two to three minutes until the potatoes just start to brown. Add ½ cup of water and cover. Cook for 15 minutes. While the potatoes are cooking, place the remaining grease into a small frying pan and melt over medium heat. Add the flour and stir until combined. Cook for two to three minutes, stirring every half minute or so, until the flour just starts to brown. You have just made what is called, a roux. Remove from the heat. Remove the pot lid and pour the roux into the potato, onion, celery mixture and stir. Add the canned milk while stirring and let come to a slow boil over medium heat. When the soup has thickened, add the fresh milk, and liquid smoke, and stir until it is incorporated into the soup. Add the ham and stir in. Serve piping hot. Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North 3 stars 1 reviews