"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 07-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #1
Head Chef

Another Vichyssoise Question, this one pertaining to leeks

Seems like I got ahead of myself with my first thread about freezing small onions, and then the thread on which potato is the mist ideal for vichyssoise soup.

Here's the situation.

Im growing leeks in my garden ( along with potatoes and many other veggies).
95% of my intentions for growing leeks is to use in home made vichyssoise.

Usually, the leeks last well into the fall/ winter, allowing me to pick them all season ( at various sizes). This, in turn, allows the bulk of them to be pickable at the same time as the potatoes are harvested.

I don't know if its because its a hot summer, or planted things too early, or if its just the variety I planted, but my leeks are starting to ( for lack of better words or descriptions) collapse on themselves. Almost bending over like a ripe onion, at ( or just above ) the soil level. The outer leaves / layers are kinda splitting and collapsing, making the plant less sturdy, and leading to its bending at mid to low level. there are no evidence of disease, rot or bugs.

I don't want to lose the whole crop by seeing what may happen, so I plan on harvesting them all today.

Potatoes won't be ready for at least another month or so.

I want to make vichyssoise using only my own leeks and potatoes
( Sure i could go to the store and use their potatoes , but I don't want to).

So, here is my question.

Should i cut up, blanch , then freeze my leeks in pre-measured portions, and use them when the potatoes are harvested ?

Should i cut them up, cook them in the broth ( In precise measurements as if I were making the soup) , then freeze it like that. And when the potatoes are ready, i can just cook them in the pre-made, pre-measured leek and soup broth?

or does it really not matter?

thanks in advance ,

larry

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2965.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	23131  

Old 07-19-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
Sous Chef

I would saute, then freeze. freezing 'raw' turns them to mush, so perhaps having them wilted from the saute will 'pre-mush' them with less texture loss on thaw.

but I've not tried it - tried freezing raw, that didn't go so well.

did you plant them in trenches and hill up? the long stalk above ground before the leaves branch out is unusual. the dirt looks grand - perhaps too much nitrogen?

Old 07-19-2015, 11:57 AM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Leeks that are going to be cooked can be frozen as is. Their texture doesn't matter. They will be soft and limp when defrosted but that shouldn't impact the soup.

I freeze celery stalks all the time for use in mire poix. You wouldn't think of eating them raw but they still provide flavor for the cooked dish.
Old 07-19-2015, 12:18 PM   #4
Head Chef

Could have been too much nitrogen, but its strange how 1/2 look great and the other half kinda collapsed . I didn't hill them up much, but did plant them very deep initially. A good 6 inches under the ground, with only about 1 - 2 inches of green sticking out. I just picked them all, cleaned them, and figuring out what to do with them
Old 07-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Another Vichyssoise Question, this one pertaining to leeks

I freeze raw chopped green onions and keep them in a ziplock. I use them in salads. I also freeze raw chopped celery, carrot, and onion for soups. They're limper than fresh, but work well in soups and other dishes that are cooked.

Your leeks should be fine frozen. Maybe freeze a couple test batches, one sauteed, one raw, before you chop everything up to see if the texture works for you.
Old 07-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #6
Master Chef

I freeze raw leeks all the time and use them as the base for things like risotto or as an addition to mirepoix. I dint blanch or anything. Just clean chop freeze.
Old 07-19-2015, 05:09 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Larry -

it's a chore, but I've found putting leek sprouts (from Jan...) in a 8-12" deep trench and then filling in as they grow to be entirely worthwhile.

we're just south of Harrisburg - if your weather has been as weird as ours, very odd things are happening.

my potatoes are still in bloom.... got antsy for some red news and dug a plant - nothing, nadda, not a single nodule! yellow onions - bulbed up nicely; pulled, dried. lost/loosing at least 50% to rot - way too much water/moisture this year.

typically I have to set up an over-head sprinkler 'system' - well, other than 1 or 2x right after seeding, not had to water anything. my biggest (green) tomato is roughly 2.5-3" - and there be zero red ones. the peppers are looking at me like "why did you do this?"

so, it's been weird this year, for sure.
Old 07-19-2015, 06:51 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Are you sure your potatoes aren't ready? How many potato plants do you have? Two plants should be enough for a soup.
Old 07-19-2015, 07:23 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

I store leeks dirt shaken off, greens trimmed a little, in a plastic bag, not sealed, in the crisper. They last three months.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:01 AM   #10
Sous Chef

I slice mine after trimming and freeze un-blanched on a tray. Then I transfer to a plastic bag and use as needed. If they have 'bolted' which is what it sounds like it will be worth taking a minute or two to check the centres. If they are hard then they could be a bit tough and spoil your soup.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
other, leek, leeks