"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 08-05-2005, 10:46 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via AIM to Piccolina Send a message via MSN to Piccolina Send a message via Yahoo to Piccolina
Thumbs up White gazpacho

I'm a big fan of alternative flours and often make breads with all sorts of grains, starches, etc. I adore a good rice bread (with or without the addition of gluten flour), and have used it to top onion soup and in other dishes where white bread was called for. In the recipe below I omitted the traditional white bread and replaced it with rice bread.

This recipe is white gazpacho or Ajo Blanco, like its tomato counter part it does often contain bread but you can easily omit it (if you do, as untraditional as it is a like a splash of heavy cream), here is my deconstructed version.

Ajo Blanco

125 grams blanched and skinned almonds

25 grams (roughly) flaked almonds, toasted

2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped

100 ml (or more if you like) olive oil

30 ml white wine vinegar (check the label to be sure it is gluten free, strange as that sounds)

30 seedless green grapes peeled and halved or quartered (depending on their size)

about 1 litre of ice cold water

150 grams day old gluten free rice bread

sea salt and white pepper to taste

In a food processor finely grind the blanched almonds together with the garlic. You want the almonds to be fine, but not completely powdery.

In the bowl of ice cold water soak the rice bread for a couple of minutes, then carefully squeeze it to get rid of excess water. Add the bread to the almond and garlic mixture bit by bit until you have a thick "paste".

Set the food processor on low and let it run as you slowly pour in the olive oil. If the mixture builds up on the sides of the bowl, stop and scrap it back into the base of the bowl. Once all the olive oil is incorporated add the white wine vinegar using the same method of slow inclusion.

Add a cup's worth of ice water while in the same way. Next transfer the soup base to a mixing bowl and stir in the remaining water. Season to taste and strain through a sieve before serving.

Chill for at least two hours and serve with sliced grapes and toasted almonds adorning each individual bowl.

Serves about 4 as a starter

"The most indispensable ingredient of all good home cooking: love, for those you are cooking for" ~ Sophia Loren
Piccolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2005, 10:50 AM   #12
Master Chef

I made a Gazpach Aspic salad a week or so ago and it was very nice.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:05 AM   #13
Master Chef

Jenny, I see a lot of recipes that call for sherry. What is a good but reasonably priced brand to look for?
Old 08-05-2005, 11:15 AM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
Jenny, I see a lot of recipes that call for sherry. What is a good but reasonably priced brand to look for?
For cooking I use Savory and James or other relatively inexpensive brand of dry sherry for sale in the wine section of the supermarket.

I wouldn't use really cheap stuff, "cooking sherry" or sweet sherry like Harvey's Bristol Cream, but otherwise I'm not sure it makes much of a diff.

But I dont drink sherry very often so don't know that much about it.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:28 AM   #15
Head Chef

Here is one that I like to make and it is simple and easy. Sorry that it does use bread crumbs, but you can leave them out and it is still very good!

Gazpacho with croutons

c.coarsely chopped red onion

1 garlic clove, peeled

1 can (28 oz.) no-salt-added tomatoes

1/4 c. seasoned dry bread crumbs

1/4 c. chopped parsley

3 Tbs. red wine vinegar

1 Tbs. olive oil

1/4 tsp. salt

tsp. Pepper

2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped

2 green bell peppers, chopped

2 red bell peppers, chopped

homemade or store bought croutons

Pulse onion and garlic in blender. Add half of tomatoes and all of the juice. Puree and add the next 6 ingredients. Blend. Pour into a non-reactive bowl. Chop remaining tomatoes and stir into the puree with half of the cucumbers and half of all of the bell peppers. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Ladle into bowls and top with remaing cucumber and peppers. Garnish with croutons. Serves 4.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:21 AM   #16
Master Chef

Thanks for the info on the Sherry...now I know what to look for.

Tags
None