Any tried and true gaspacho recipes out there - and maybe one without bread crumbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexR

Senior Cook
Hi,

I can pull any number of recipes off the Internet, but would be more interested in one that you are familiar with firsthand.

Furthermore, my wife has a gluten allergy and cannot eat wheat flour.
Any suggestions on a good, flourless gazpacho?

Best regards,
Alex R.

I don't have one, but let's bump this thread back up to the top so more people will see it.
42.gif

I never use a recipe. I usually just throw in whatever I have on hand, nothing measured. I puree half of the veggies and rough chop the other half. I almost always add some V8 juice and white vinegar and worcetershire sauce along with some hot sauce.

I use this as a basic one all the time. It makes a pretty hefty amount so you may want to trim it a bit. The only reason I use a piece of bread is the very, very last thing to get out whatever veggie I ran through my KitchenAid meat grinder. There's a LOT that stays in there - but as soon as you start seeing the bread you can stop it. This is more a chunky style but if you wanted you could always puree everything or just use a hand blender until your desired consistency.

Gazpacho

10# peeled tomatoes (or canned)
2# red pepper
3 jalapenos, seeded and deveined
2# seeded cukes
1 bunch cilantro
black pepper
salt
2 cups red wine vinegar
1 cup olive oil

Run all veggies through a meat grinder and puree. Garnish with any of the veggies and sour cream. Is better if it gets a chance to chill all day. Any leftovers are GREAT over white chicken enchiladas!

I've never seen a gazpacho made with flour. That's not to say that it can't be made that way, I've just never seen it. Would it be to thicken the gazpacho? Flour doesn't effectively thicken something unless it comes to a boil (with the exception of a roux). I guess you could cook the gazpacho first and then chill it but I don't see the point. :huh:

KElf's recipe is a good basic one to use. The only thing I would recommend is scaling back on the jalapenos depending on your heat tolerance. Remember that you can always add more heat back in, but it will be much harder to take it out.

ironchef - I'm a big wuss - I cut the veins out as well as washing all seeds off - so basically there is no heat - just a taste.

As for the gluten intolerance - just don't use the piece of bread like I do - if you use a Kitchen Aid meat grinder just remove it and get all the stuff out - if you use a processor you don't have to worry about it at all.

Gazpacho is a Spanish dish that was used literally to use up any leftover veggies from the garden. I was introduced to gazpacho in San Diego and instantly fell in love with the flavors. The gazpacho meals I have eaten were mostly tomato, veggies such as members of the summer squash family, onion, peppers of various sorts, and cilantro. It's always been served cold and was a very refreshing dish.

Mine is different every time I make it as I use whatever veggies I have available at the time. But I always have tomatoes, onions, some type of peppers, and cilantro in it.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

GAZPACHO

serves 8

4 cups peeled seeded tomatoes
1 cucumber, seeded, diced
4T green pepper, diced
1 med. red onion, diced
4T olive oil
2T red wine vinegar
1 cup V-8 juice
1T worchestershire
Salt/pepper
Tabasco to taste

Pulse tomatoes and half of cucumber, onion and green pepper in food processor with on/off motion til just little bits remain. Add rest of vegetables, and rest of ingredients and mix well. Chill well before serving.

Tejas Gazpacho

Not sure where I got it but it is a family pleaser. I always make it when we go sailing with my son's family.

* Exported from MasterCook *
Gazpacho, Tejas - Crowd Pleaser
Recipe By :
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :1:00
Categories : Mexican Sheila's Favorites
Soups Southwestern Cuisine
Vegetable Dishes
Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
3 pounds fresh tomatoes -- peeled & seeded
24 fluid ounces tomato juice
4 fluid ounces balsamic vinegar
5 tablespoons tomato paste
2 serrano peppers
1 dash Tabasco sauce
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon sugar -- to taste
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
2 tablespoons lime juice -- use fresh-squeezed
2 cups water
1 whole red bell pepper, peeled & seeded -- diced in 1/4" pieces
1 whole green bell pepper, peeled & seeded -- diced in 1/4" piece
1 whole yellow bell pepper, peeled & seeded -- diced in 1/4" pieces
2 cups scallions -- thinly sliced
2 cups cucumber, peeled & seeded -- diced in 1/4" pieces
2 cups jicama, peeled -- diced in 1/4" piece
1 cup zucchini -- diced in 1/4" piece
1 Cup yellow squash -- diced in 1/4" pieces
4 whole tomatoes, outside skin and flesh only -- diced in 1/4" piece
2 tablespoons cilantro, basil, or parsley -- chopped

Puree the first 13 ingredients ("3 Pounds Tomatoes" through "2 Cups Water") in a blender. Strain and chill the mixture.
When chilled, stir in all of the remaining ingredients.
Serve chilled. Will keep well in the refrigerator for up to three days.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 121 Calories; 2g Fat (15.3% calories from fat); 4g Protein; 25g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 1mg Cholesterol; 521mg Sodium. Exchanges: 0 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 2 1/2 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
Serving Ideas : Holds well in refrigerator for up to three days.

ironchef said:
I've never seen a gazpacho made with flour. That's not to say that it can't be made that way, I've just never seen it. Would it be to thicken the gazpacho? Flour doesn't effectively thicken something unless it comes to a boil (with the exception of a roux). I guess you could cook the gazpacho first and then chill it but I don't see the point. :huh:

Gazpacho, traditionally, has bread in it. It acts as a thickener.

I make mine with and without. Leaving it our really doesn't matter much, IMO.

Tomatoes, cukes, peppers, onion, cilantro and/or parsley, V8 juice, lemon juice, olive oil, hot sauce, salt and pepper and sherry.

The sherry, IMO, really make a big difference. It's also a very traditional ingredient in Spanish gazpacho.

White gazpacho

I'm a big fan of alternative flours and often make breads with all sorts of grains, starches, etc. I adore a good rice bread (with or without the addition of gluten flour), and have used it to top onion soup and in other dishes where white bread was called for. In the recipe below I omitted the traditional white bread and replaced it with rice bread.

This recipe is white gazpacho or Ajo Blanco, like its tomato counter part it does often contain bread but you can easily omit it (if you do, as untraditional as it is a like a splash of heavy cream), here is my deconstructed version.

Ajo Blanco

125 grams blanched and skinned almonds

25 grams (roughly) flaked almonds, toasted

2-3 cloves of garlic, chopped

100 ml (or more if you like) olive oil

30 ml white wine vinegar (check the label to be sure it is gluten free, strange as that sounds)

30 seedless green grapes peeled and halved or quartered (depending on their size)

about 1 litre of ice cold water

150 grams day old gluten free rice bread

sea salt and white pepper to taste

In a food processor finely grind the blanched almonds together with the garlic. You want the almonds to be fine, but not completely powdery.

In the bowl of ice cold water soak the rice bread for a couple of minutes, then carefully squeeze it to get rid of excess water. Add the bread to the almond and garlic mixture bit by bit until you have a thick "paste".

Set the food processor on low and let it run as you slowly pour in the olive oil. If the mixture builds up on the sides of the bowl, stop and scrap it back into the base of the bowl. Once all the olive oil is incorporated add the white wine vinegar using the same method of slow inclusion.

Add a cup's worth of ice water while in the same way. Next transfer the soup base to a mixing bowl and stir in the remaining water. Season to taste and strain through a sieve before serving.

Chill for at least two hours and serve with sliced grapes and toasted almonds adorning each individual bowl.

Serves about 4 as a starter

Constance said:
Jenny, I see a lot of recipes that call for sherry. What is a good but reasonably priced brand to look for?

For cooking I use Savory and James or other relatively inexpensive brand of dry sherry for sale in the wine section of the supermarket.

I wouldn't use really cheap stuff, "cooking sherry" or sweet sherry like Harvey's Bristol Cream, but otherwise I'm not sure it makes much of a diff.

But I dont drink sherry very often so don't know that much about it.

Here is one that I like to make and it is simple and easy. Sorry that it does use bread crumbs, but you can leave them out and it is still very good!

Gazpacho with croutons

½ c.coarsely chopped red onion

1 garlic clove, peeled

1 can (28 oz.) no-salt-added tomatoes

1/4 c. seasoned dry bread crumbs

1/4 c. chopped parsley

3 Tbs. red wine vinegar

1 Tbs. olive oil

1/4 tsp. salt

½ tsp. Pepper

2 cucumbers, peeled and chopped

2 green bell peppers, chopped

2 red bell peppers, chopped

homemade or store bought croutons

Pulse onion and garlic in blender. Add half of tomatoes and all of the juice. Puree and add the next 6 ingredients. Blend. Pour into a non-reactive bowl. Chop remaining tomatoes and stir into the puree with half of the cucumbers and half of all of the bell peppers. Chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour. Ladle into bowls and top with remaing cucumber and peppers. Garnish with croutons. Serves 4.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom