"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 12-21-2014, 08:04 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
We got in the habit of checking everything. The store they put up in the town near us has the crappiest food ever. I dont care what it is you check the date. We only buy stuff there if we need one or two things. They get away with selling crap because the next town with a decent store is 50 miles away.
As much as I would love to live on a farm, I well remember the drawbacks. And the problem of having a store just down the street is only a dream for a farm family.

Old 12-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer Jon View Post
Its a family tradition for us to have oyster stew for Christmas.
I was wondering if anyone else did this and if so if you would share your recipe?
I just dump a gallon of whole milk and a half stick of butter in the crock pot set on medium stir occasionally. Chop one onion and bunch of celery. Saute in butter until soft NOT brown. Dump into the milk. Drain few cans of oysters dump into the pot and cook all day. Season with celery salt to taste.
I was wanting to use uncooked oysters this year. They come in the plastic container in the fish dept.
I live in Nebraska its kinda hard to just run to the shore for fresh ones. Have to make do with what I have.
They make the same thing here in SC. They make it with salmon or chicken too and call it stew.
I never quite understood how anyone could just dump all those ingredients into a pot and expect anything impressive.
Of course in my neck of the woods, its not important. And that, is a shame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
If FedEx will deliver "Red Label" packages to you, order live oysters from a reputable online source and shuck them yourself. IMO, if this is a once a year tradition, it's worth getting the freshest product possible.
If i were to make this stew (Steve's) and I plan to sooner than later, it will be fresh shucked oysters. I can get them at the grocery store. I am a bit surprised Costco does not have them this time of the year. They sell whole snapper on ice, so fresh oysters should be available.

I also doubt my wife would touch them with a ten foot pole. But I have come to the realization "its hers loss not mine".

Old 12-21-2014, 12:14 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by medtran49 View Post
Just an FYI on those plastic tubs of oysters, make sure you check the expiration dates and also if the lid is puffed up stay far, far, far away from them. I've seen expired tubs and puffy lidded tubs for sale more times than I care for in even reputable grocery stores. Probably partially due to the fact that they are so expensive as Addie noted.

Very good point.

Tags
christmas, recipe, stew

Anyone else have oyster stew at Christmas? Its a family tradition for us to have oyster stew for Christmas. I was wondering if anyone else did this and if so if you would share your recipe? I just dump a gallon of whole milk and a half stick of butter in the crock pot set on medium stir occasionally. Chop one onion and bunch of celery. Saute in butter until soft NOT brown. Dump into the milk. Drain few cans of oysters dump into the pot and cook all day. Season with celery salt to taste. I was wanting to use uncooked oysters this year. They come in the plastic container in the fish dept. I live in Nebraska its kinda hard to just run to the shore for fresh ones. Have to make do with what I have. 3 stars 1 reviews