Anyone have a recipe for Cream of Asparagus Soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifter

Washing Up
There was a highly rated recipe posted for Cream of Celery Soup on the Board...

My wife and I went out for dinner tonight, and a Cream of Asparagus was on offer that was really good...

I should add that I prefer my asparagus steamed or BBQ'd, but my wife will only eat it in soup...

This version of the soup seemed somewhat like the posted Cream of Celery in that it was creamed and had potato in it...

The asparagus was fairly finely chopped, and it also featured carrot and celery (the latter pretty finely chopped and diced!), and some herbs to compliment...

Does anyone have a recipe resembling this? My wife said it was the second best she'd tasted, the best being one she had years back in Mexico City, with White Asparagus...would love to have a recipe like that so she could enjoy it regularly...

Thanks in Advance!

Lifter

reminds me of this one

Potage Bonne Femme
serves 6-8

1 lb potatoes
3 carrots
2 leeks
1 oz butter
6 cups water or chicken stock
1 teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper
3/4 cup cream
parsley or chervil, for garnish

Peel the potatoes and carrots.
Chop potatoes, carrot and leeks into pieces.
Heat the butter in a large pan, add leek and carrot; cook, stirring until soft.
Add potato and stir to coat with butter.
Add water or stock, sugar, and salt and pepper.
Cover and simmer 30-40 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
Place vegetables in food processor, process in batches until smooth. Return mixture to pan, stir in cream.
(Can add chopped asparagus here - I have also used leftover broccoli)
Heat through before serving.
Serve soup garnished with parsley or chervil.

NOTE: For leek and potato soup, omit the carrot and add an extra leek. Top soup with extra cream before serving. if desired.

here's my asparagus soup - but not the one you described.

Asparagus Soup
serves 4-6

1/2 lb asparagus, sliced fine
6 cups of water or broth
2 small leeks, cleaned and sliced fine, whites only
2 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
1 cup white, long-grain rice
1/2 cup of heavy cream
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp. grated nutmeg

Put the sliced asparagus in salted cold water or broth.
Add the sliced leeks and parsley and bring to a slow boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
Add the rice and cook for another 20 minutes.
Add nutmeg, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Remove from heat.
Mix the cream with the egg yolk, stir into soup, then serve.

Good Luck!

I prepare asparagus soup in both hot & cold styles. Please note that the cold version contains potato, per your request.

Cream of Asparagus Soup

Peel 2 pounds asparagus; cut of 2" tips, then blanch the asparagus for 3-4 minutes until just tender. Run under cold water to stop the cooking.

In a heavy pan, wilt 1½ cups chopped leeks in 3 Tb clarified butter. Add chopped asparagus stalks and 5 cups of chicken stock; bring to the boil, partially cover, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Purée the mixture, add salt & freshly ground white pepper to taste, return to the pan; reheat and slowly add ½ cup or more of light cream to gently bind the soup. Add the reserved asparagus tips and adjust the seasoning.

Transfer the soup to a heated tureen, garnish with 3 tips & thin lemon slices. An elegant soup!

Chilled Asparagus Soup

Cut 2 pounds asparagus, trimmed & peeled, crosswise into 1-inch pieces. Bring 1 cup water to the boil in a deep saucepan just large enough to hold it and the asparagus with ¼ tsp salt – and cook them for 10 minutes, or until they are barely tender. Drain the aspargus in a large sieve set over a bowl and reserve the cooking liquid.

In an enameled or stainless-steel saucepan, cook the white parts of 2 small leeks, well washed and thinly sliced, in 1 oz. unsalted butter, covered, over moderately low heat for 2- minutes, or until they are softened. Add 1 large potato, peeled and diced, and 2 cups chicken stock, and simmer the mixture for 12-15 minutes, or until the potato is tender.

Add the asparagus, reserving 6 tips, and the cooking liquid. Purée the mixture in the pan using an immersion blender (otherwise, you'll have to do it in batches in a tabletop blender). Stir in 1½ cups heavy cream, ½ tsp curry powder, and salt & freshly ground white pepper, to taste. Heat the mixture over moderate heat, stirring, until it is hot – but do not let it boil. Let the mixture cool, transfer it to a bowl, and chill it, covered.

Thin the soup with milk, if necessary. Divide it among chilled bowls and garnish each serving with a reserved tip and a sprinkling of paprika.

Thanks to both of you!

Will fiddle with these recipes tomorrow and see if I can't replicate the tasted one with the advice received, and then post back the efforts...

BTW, "Konditor", you might possibly be the most reliable Lister on this Board that I've read, in terms of coming up, immediately, with an answer or recipe (or technique!) to any given question...for which, from me, and likely umpteen others, "THANKS"

Lifter

Back
Top Bottom