Anyone Thinking Of Soups Yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In the Kitchen said:
Anyone hear of Sauerkraut Soup made w/ground beef?

you know i think i had this soup years ago i think it was with polish sausage
not ground beef. love sauerkraut

If anyone wants a recipe for Thai Peanut Soup give me a holler and I'll PM it to you. I haven't tried it yet but plan to. It looks and sounds absolutely delicious. Oh and best of all its simple and says it only take 25 minutes to fix from start to finish.

Sauerkraut Soup

www.stltoday.com/cooking

SAUERKRAUT SOUP
For broth:
10 peppercorns
2 cloves
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs thyme
2 sprigs parsley
2 pounds flanken, beef short ribs or brisket
1 pound beef bones, optional
1 onion, skin left on, quartered
2 carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 ribs celery, cut into 1-inch pieces
2 cloves garlic
3 quarts cold water
For soup:
2 pounds sauerkraut with juice
Salt
Freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons lemon juice or to taste
1/2 cup packed brown sugar or to taste
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley

To prepare broth: Tie peppercorns, cloves, bay leaf, thyme and parsley in cheesecloth to make an herb bundle. In a large pot, combine flanken, beef bones, onion, carrots, celery, garlic, herb bundle and water. Bring to a boil; skim off foam that rises to surface. Reduce heat; simmer until meat is cooked and tender and broth is reduced to about 2 quarts, about 1 1/2 hours. Skim broth often to remove any fat that rises to the surface.
Strain broth into large saucepan; let cool to room temperature. Refri gerate broth until cold. Fat will congeal on surface. Skim it off and discard. Tear meat into shreds, discarding any visible pieces of fat or bone. Return meat to broth. Discard remaining solids.
To prepare soup: Return broth to large pot. Add undrained sauerkraut, salt, pepper, lemon juice and brown sugar; simmer 15 minutes. Correct seasoning, adding brown sugar, lemon juice or salt as needed. Soup should be a little sweet, a little sour and highly seasoned.
Ladle soup into shallow bowls, crowning each with a dollop of sour cream. Sprinkle a bit of parsley in center of sour cream; serve at once.
Yield: 8 servings.

Sauerkraut my favorite, next to eggplant. Found this recipe with some effort. Thankful I did. Sounds very good and interesting. Especially when the weather is agreeable. Should be cool like someone said.

Always Soup!

To me, doesn't matter if it's winter or summer. I eat soup year round. Campbell's might have trademarked the slogan but to me, "soup is good food!" is accurate. It's filling, usually doesn't require a lot of fussing over beyond perhaps the initial prep. In another online community I'm known as the "Soup Queen".

Fraidy

I made some beefy French onion last week. It was so good.
We ate it three days in a row and still wanted more.

white chili

vagriller said:
There's a ham bone that speaks to me every time I open the freezer. It says "throw me in a pot of navy beans." So that is on the docket, but my wife says it's still too hot. I say it's cool in the house, right?

navy bean thinking of it last night i normally soak my own beans and make
it the good old fashion way, have you ever used beans that have already been cooked? i was at the store last night and saw a big jar of mixed cooked beans a brand i have nerver seen. so i bought it think it would work?

and if definately second the chili craving, could go with white chili
not so heavy good for summer or at least it is an excuse.

I make the white chili throughout the entire year. It is a big hit around my house and at fiances work. i usually make a huge pot of it and freeze the leftovers.

I live in the snowbelt of NE, Ohio like homecook, middie and JoeV. I have already made a beef, vegetable barley soup and have everything in the house to make matzoh ball soup. I bet they have made or at least eaten soup, too.

we try to have a soup and salad night once a week.
Made split pea this morning.
Mushroom barley last week
vegetable the week before.
In the summer try to stick with cool soups such as borcht or VISCHYSOISE

I love soups!!! Especially with sourdough bread for some reason. I have found that soups are one of the easiest and most satisfying meals to make. Once a week I will clean out my fridge and make what I call hobo stew/soup. Basically any realistic leftover put into a pot with chicken or beef broth. Love it!! Girlfriend doesn't always feel the same though. lol..

We have our " rotten shelf soup " which basically consists of anything that is on the " rotten shelf". Whats the rotten shelf, you may ask?? Well, its an vegetable or whatever that was bought for one dinner, used, and what ever was not used gets put on this shelf to either be used in our rotten shelf soup, or ultimately rots and gets thrown out ( or fed to the chickens).

Once, we had baby sitter who opened the fridge to get something to eat ( we wernt home) and the rotten shelf became loose, fell, and a bunch of dried up mushrooms and whatever fell on the floor. She cleaned it all up and put it back, but she must wonder about us. She never said anything and niether did we. But we were so embarrassed. The only way we found out was we saw a dried mushroom that she must have not seen. When we asked our kids how it got there, they told us that the shelf fell while we were out.

As a last statement, sometimes my rotten shelf soup is better than things i run out an buy fresh ingredients for...

larry

Cream of asparagus. With onion, plugra...thickened with...instant mashed potatoes!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom