Anyone Thinking Of Soups Yet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickell

Senior Cook
FOR SOME REASON I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT MAKING SOUPS.

EITHER IT IS THE WEATHER WE HAVE HAD WONDERFUL FALL WEATHER
FOR THE LAST THREE DAYS, BUT IT IS GOING RIGHT BACK TO THE DOG
DAYS OF SUMMER SOON. OR MAYBE I AM THINKING SOUPS CAUSE MY
MIDDLE GIRL IS GETTING BRACES TODAY:eek:

ANYONE ELSE THINKING SOUPS IF SO WHAT KIND.

I AM THINKING ITALIAN WEDDING SOUP NEVER MADE IT BUT
I DO LIKE IT.

I just made a small batch of chicken broth and it's in the freezer waiting.

I think I'll make a beef barley with mushrooms first. I like thick , hearty soups. I've never made Italian Wedding soup.

P.S. please turn off your caps lock.

I'm serving baked chicken tonight and thought about making chicken noodle soup out of the bones. Then I started thinking about the heat, too, :rolleyes: and changed my mind.

It's in the low 70's today, so I have a pot of chicken soup on the stove. I guess we're all getting tired of just food from the grill.:)

Andy M. said:
I just made a small batch of chicken broth and it's in the freezer waiting.

I think I'll make a beef barley with mushrooms first. I like thick , hearty soups. I've never made Italian Wedding soup.

P.S. please turn off your caps lock.

Most of the time I definately go for thick I don't think Italian Wedding soup,
would be right if it was thick.

Whats up with turning off the caps lock does it mess something up
or is it just hard to read? I normally am typing most of the day in a program
that requires cap locks.

rickell said:
...Whats up with turning off the caps lock does it mess something up or is it just hard to read? I normally am typing most of the day in a program that requires cap locks.

It's hard to read and all caps is considered 'shouting' in this setting.

Andy M. said:
It's hard to read and all caps is considered 'shouting' in this setting.

no shouting here i will go with lower case i can run my other program that
way too.

back to thinking soup

I eat soup for lunch almost every day...but I seldom get out of the AC, so the heat's not a problem for me.
Funny thing, Rickell...I just had a can of Progresso Italian Wedding Soup for lunch the other day. It was pretty good, but I can't help thinking the homemade would have to be much better. The little meatballs seemed to be lacking something.
It will be October before I can even mention soup to my husband, and then his first request will be chili.

Constance said:
I eat soup for lunch almost every day...but I seldom get out of the AC, so the heat's not a problem for me.
Funny thing, Rickell...I just had a can of Progresso Italian Wedding Soup for lunch the other day. It was pretty good, but I can't help thinking the homemade would have to be much better. The little meatballs seemed to be lacking something.
It will be October before I can even mention soup to my husband, and then his first request will be chili.

almost everyday too here also in ac most of the time. ( i want to win the lottery and get outside) in the summer my soup most of the time
comes out of a can:(, my husband aswell will want chili first. But cause
it is summer i think i will go for something new.

I'm always thinking soup. I made some chicken broth from the grapefruit chicken I made the other day. It smells wonderful. I'll be making chicken noodle some day soon.

I'm really hungry for some lentil though. Maybe, next week!

There's a ham bone that speaks to me every time I open the freezer. It says "throw me in a pot of navy beans." So that is on the docket, but my wife says it's still too hot. I say it's cool in the house, right?

Also I am seriously craving some chili.:w00t2:

vagriller said:
There's a ham bone that speaks to me every time I open the freezer. It says "throw me in a pot of navy beans." So that is on the docket, but my wife says it's still too hot. I say it's cool in the house, right?

navy bean thinking of it last night i normally soak my own beans and make
it the good old fashion way, have you ever used beans that have already been cooked? i was at the store last night and saw a big jar of mixed cooked beans a brand i have nerver seen. so i bought it think it would work?

and if definately second the chili craving, could go with white chili
not so heavy good for summer or at least it is an excuse.

I make soups all year round!!! Love soup!! Made a great potato soup last night for my supper; will finish it tonight.

rickell said:
...a big jar of mixed cooked beans a brand i have nerver seen. so i bought it think it would work?...

It should work fine. Just add them later in the cooking process as they are already cooked.

Actually I am going to be runnig a fund raiser for a non-profit group I belong to, in September. It seems a few people were bragging about what good cooks they are so I challenged them to put up or shut up. They come to the picnic grounds and bring their soup stew or chili or make it on site. There's a slight admission charge and I will be cooking other things as well. The people there can vote on which is the best by placing money in the appropriate container. I personally am going to make ham and bean soup.

rickell said:
have you ever used beans that have already been cooked? i was at the store last night and saw a big jar of mixed cooked beans a brand i have nerver seen. so i bought it think it would work?

I think I've only made navy bean soup once or twice, but I use dried beans. Wouldn't the jar of beans work just like canned beans? I might have to try northern beans. How similiar are they to navy beans? And would ham work in it?

it`s interesting to see this topic today, I mentioned to my wife this morning (UK time) that I can feel Autumn approaching, and she said, yeah, we haven`t had soup for ages either :)

and although we`ll not be having that tonight, I have plans for a nice Beef and Tomato soup for tomorrow, with the Obligatory Chili pepper or 2 in there also :cool:

Back
Top Bottom