Applebee's Cheese Chicken Tortilla Soup Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MochaBean04

Senior Cook
Hey, I found this recipe for my favorite soup at Applebees and yet again, i found that there was an ingredient listed that is not in the steps. The CREAM. lol im assumeing you add it in with the sour cream but i wanted to make sure before i ruined a whole pot of soup.
pleae help. . .

Applebee's Cheese Chicken Tortilla Soup

Source: Applebee's

1 medium yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup chopped green pepper (optional)
1 (15 ounce) can tomato puree
1 tablespoon finely minced jalapeño pepper (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper (optional)
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (optional)
4 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup water
1 pound cooked chicken, cubed or pulled
1 cup cream
1/4 cup non-fat sour cream
8 ounces processed cheese, 1-inch cubes
10 (6-inch) colored or yellow corn tortillas, 1/4-inch strips, fried
Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (optional)

Sauté oil, garlic and onions in large pan or Dutch oven until soft.

Add numbers 4 through 13. Bring to low boil, then reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.

Cut tortillas into 1/4-inch strips and fry in oil or spray with oil and bake at 400 degrees F (while soup is cooking). Sprinkle with salt if desired.

Thoroughly mix flour and water, then whisk into soup. Bring to a low boil, then simmer 5 minutes.

Add chicken and simmer 5 minutes.

Stir in cream, sour cream and cheese (more or less of each, depending on taste). Ensure 165 degrees F serving temperature.

After serving soup, pile tortilla strips into a "haystack" shape on top of the soup.

Optional: garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.

Yield: Six to eight portions

Last edited by a moderator:
Mocha...........this sounds yummy! Please tell us how close it actually is to Applebee's when you do make it.

mmm this was awesome. It wasnt as spicy as in the restuarant. I only put in one jalapeno so maybe thats why? Also when i make the tortillas, i put them in my broiler and just let them get a little dark in there. I sprayed them with pam on both sides and added salt and pepper. If anyone has had this soup and makes this one, let me know if yours comes out like applebees. I still reccomend this. awesome soup recipe :)

i just sprinkled cheese on top. . .non of my family likes cheese soups. I just used Sargentos Mexican Blend. I just covered the top of the soup with the cheese and then i put a blob of sour cream and then the tortillas. . turned out pretty good. . . anyother questions lemme know :)

I made this recipe tonight after finding this post a few weeks ago. DELICIOUS!!

I don't know much about cream. I used heavy whipping cream and by the time I added the cream I decided to leave out the sour cream. It was already VERY creamy.

It was alot cheesier than any tortilla soup I've had before. I've also never had the soup at Applebees so I can't compare authenticity. All the tortilla soups I've had in the past were very brothy. Probably similar to this recipe without the cheese or cream. My whole family loved it though.

Back
Top Bottom