Artichoke soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arwen

Senior Cook
1 Kg artichokes
300 gr potatoes
garlic (as much as you like)
1 onion
1 liter of water
salt and pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 little tablespoon curry
1 tablespoon turmeric
2 tablespoons whipped cream

Wash the artichokes and chop into small chunks. Peel and cut the potatoes into small cubes.
Peel and slice the onion. Crush the garlic.Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the onion and garlic. Lightly fry for about 10 minutes to soften.
Add the potatoes to the pan, cover with half of the water, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes until half-cooked.
Add the artichoke chunks, salt and pepper to taste, turmeric and curry powder as above described and the rest of the water, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for 10 minutes.. approximately..:ermm:. then stir occasionally, until the potatoes are fully cooked.
Rub through a sieve or put through a blender to make a smooth pureee.

Enjoy it!! :chef:

Sounds Delicious! I have a question about the artichokes. Are these baby artichokes or the large kind that you have taken the leaves off? It's hard for me to imagine using the large kind. Can canned artichokes be used successfully?

For those who have a Trader Joes near them, they sell a frozen bag of artichoke hearts, I would imagine for those to work nicely!

Yeah, my guess is the frozen hearts would be a good choice, since they will give the real artichoke taste to the soup. The canned and jarred have been preserved and dont have the same artichoke taste. As far as the large artichokes go, I just got a bag of about 10 for $1. The outer leaves were brown, so they placed them in a bag on the discount shelf. For a buck I couldnt resist. Sure, it took me an hour to wash, deleaf ( if thats a word) clean, cut up .....the chokes ( its a good thing I enjoy cooking). I wound up slicing the hearts up and frying with olive oil, s/p and garlic then throwing them on a pita with felafel, feta, lettuce. tomato, onion and tahini, BUT, I suppose I could have used them for the soup as well. Definitely a pain in the butt to clean that many artichokes, but if the soup is really good, than it may be worth it .

For those who have a Trader Joes near them, they sell a frozen bag of artichoke hearts, I would imagine for those to work nicely!
Yes,you supposed right! I use the little frozen artichokes,as the soup is smoother.;)

I wound up slicing the hearts up and frying with olive oil, s/p and garlic then throwing them on a pita with felafel, feta, lettuce. tomato, onion and tahini, BUT, I suppose I could have used them for the soup as well. Definitely a pain in the butt to clean that many artichokes, but if the soup is really good, than it may be worth it .[/QUOTE]

Hi!your recipe sounds very tasty!!!:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom