"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Old 05-05-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Let me see if I can reconstruct this. I made it yesterday, and it was pretty good! DH couldn't stop eating it.

I had some leftover dandelion greens sauteed with onion and garlic, along with some nuked asparagus.

Sautee 1/2 onion, chopped, in olive oil until transparent. Add 2 cloves minced garlic and sautee. Add 1Qt. Chicken stock. Cook over medium heat. Chop 1/2 lb. asparagus, add to pot. Chop a huge handful of chives, add to pot (optional). Throw in chopped dandelion greens (I had leftover, about 1/4-1/2 cup, more if you have it), let boil, stirring occasionally. Add a T. of Better Than Boullion chicken stock. Sprinkle dried pepper flakes to taste. A squeeze of lime juice. Added 2T. Grated parm from the green container. I had a bunch of dehydrated Hen of the Woods mushrooms, threw in a handful, powdering some. Probably any mushroom would work. Used the stick blender to make it chunky. Turned heat to low and added a handful of yogurt cheese (you can use Greek or plain yogurt) to thicken, and stick blend some more.

Serve with saltines or oyster crackers.

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
Admiral of the Texas Navy
Sounds yummy. I'm the only one in the house that eats mushrooms. Sometimes I really crave them.

"I must say as to what I have seen of Texas it is the garden spot of the world. The best land and the best prospects for health I ever saw, and I do believe it is a fortune to any man to come here."
Davy Crockett, 1836
forty_caliber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:47 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme
Site Administrator
Now this sounds really good! Have to keep it in mind.
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
Thanks for the recipie, I will try it out!
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
this does sound good, dawg.

do you find the dandelion greens lose their bitterness, or is that a component of the balance of the soup?
in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Thanks guys! BT, the greens had very little bitterness. I had previously cooked them in salt water. I think they'd lose bitterness even if put in fresh, as they'd be boiled.

I would think the recipe might also be good with a roux, or other thickening. I liked the slightly tart creaminess from the yogurt cheese. I considered adding some rice, wild rice would add a nice chew.

She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote