Audeo's French Onion Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
Made it yesterday to great acclaim! As Audeo knows, I cheated and used pinot noir instead of white wine, otherwise followed her recipe faithfully.

Altho we slurped almost every bit of it down, in the future I will probably use smaller or fewer onions to boost the juice-to-onion ratio, and will cut back on the cider and add more beef stock. Matter of personal preference - it was slightly sweeter than we wanted.

Thank you, ma'am. Another success gleaned from these pages.

Good heavens, what a relief! I'm not a fan of sweet, myself (with the exception of coconut cream pie rarely consumed). I certainly agree on your plan to sub more stock -- makes sense to me. When I make the stuff, it never rings as sweet here. Hmmm.... I wonder if it is because of my preference in Chardonay (real dry) and a cider that is also not on the sweet side?

I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

I'll save you the looking (and because I can't remember exactly):

French Onion Soup - Audeo

10 Vidalia or red onions
3 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups white wine
1 ¼ cups of canned beef consume (10 oz)
1 ¼ cups of good homemade chicken broth
1 ¼ cups of unfiltered apple cider
bouquet garni of thyme sprigs, bay leaf and parsley
1 loaf of country style bread
salt
ground black pepper
splash of Laphroaig scotch (optional)
1 cup Gruyere cheese, grated

Slice the onions into half rings. In a large cast iron skillet, preheated over medium heat, place the butter and melt, then add a third of the onions and sprinkle with salt. Repeat layering onions and salt until all onions are in the skillet. Do not try stirring until onions have sweated down for 15 to 20 minutes. After that, stir occasionally until onions are dark mahogany and reduced to approximately 2 cups. (This takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour.)

Add enough wine to cover the onions and turn heat to high, reducing the wine to a syrup consistency. Add consume, chicken broth, apple cider and bouquet garni. Reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes. (I recommend you drink any remaining wine…)

Place oven rack in top 1/3 of oven and heat broiler.

Cut country bread in rounds large enough to fit mouth of oven safe soup crocks. Place the slices on a baking sheet and place under broiler for 1 minute, or until toasted.

Season soup mixture with salt, pepper and scotch. Ladle the soup into crocks leaving one inch to the lip of the bowl. Into each bowl, place a bread round (toasted side down) on top of the soup and top the bread generously with grated gruyere. Return to the broiler and broil until the cheese is bubbly and golden, 1 to 2 minutes.

Alix!

It is a sin to use single malts in cooking.

It gets close a sin to add any mixer (a second glass of iced water on the side, in alternate sips)

If you chill it, you can get away from ruining the taste with ice cubes...

Lifter said:
Alix!

It is a sin to use single malts in cooking.

It gets close a sin to add any mixer (a second glass of iced water on the side, in alternate sips)

If you chill it, you can get away from ruining the taste with ice cubes...

ACH! Tis NOT a sin to cook with a malt! A splash of this regal deoch is a great honor to a dish!! We Scots bless many a breagha trath!!! ;)

It certainly IS a sin to dilute, distract, dismember or disdain a glass of good scotch....moreover a sin to disagree with anyone who properly drinks it! (It's also an exercise in futility!)

Just had to clear that up, Lifter....! :D

Back
Top Bottom