Awesome Steak Soup Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveCooks

Assistant Cook
Hey Everybody!

Hope you've enjoyed the recipes I posted on the forum. Thank you for all of the great feedback. I have another great one for you. This is my version of Kansas City Steak Soup. I'm claiming no authenticity here, just a version I make at home. It's quick, it's easy and it's delicious. It's just the thing for cold winter days. Keep visiting my site for more recipe ideas.

Enjoy!

d.

STEAK & RED WINE SOUP

I love any recipe that tastes as if I slaved all day in the kitchen, when in reality I did nothing more than crack open a couple of cans. This is one of those great soups that has “all-day flavor,” but comes together in no time at all. The wine adds sophistication and the beef stock adds depth of flavor. Serve this with a great crusty bread, and it’s a meal all by itself.

Serves 6

1 tablespoon good olive oil
1 pound New York steak (or rib eye) cut into ½-inch chunks
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
1 bay leaf
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup good dry red wine
3 (14 oz.) cans beef stock
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes in their juice
2 teaspoons fresh thyme, chopped

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over high heat until almost smoking. Season the beef generously with salt and pepper and cook for about a minute (turning only once) until it sears on both sides. You're looking for caramelization on the meat but you don't want to overcook it because it will finish cooking in the soup. Remove from pot; set aside.

In the same pot, melt the butter and saute the onions, carrots, celery and bay leaf until they begin to soften, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add the flour and stir constantly for another 2 to 3 minutes, scraping up the brown bits on the bottom of the pot (lots of flavor here!). You may not realize it, but you're making a roux, which will thicken your soup a bit later. It's important to cook the "rawness" out of the flour so don't skimp on this step! Stir in the wine, stock, tomatoes and the thyme. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for at least 15 minutes until the vegetables are tender.

Stir the beef and the drippings back into the soup, cook about 2 more minutes for medium rare, or until desired doneness. Adjust the seasonings as needed and serve in large bowls. This soup really does eat like a meal.

David Lawrence
Author, Boy Eats World! A Private Chef Cooks Simple Gourmet
http://www.chefdavidlawrence.com

David, I checked out your site, and it's cool. I loved the recipe for the pistacho crusted salmon, but have a question.
Can one buy pistachios that are already shelled? I made a bleu cheese ball that was rolled in chopped pistachios last Thanksgiving. (delicious, by the way)
I do have arthritis, which does slow me down a bit, but I spent hours shelling those blasted nuts.

Hi Constance-

Thank you so much! Yes, absolutely you can get shelled pistachios. I don't have the time, patience or wherewithall to do it any other way. I'm sorry to hear about your arthritis. Your bleu cheese ball sounds delicious! I buy my shelled, unsalted pisatchios at Trader Joe's. If you're fortunate enough to have one near you they offer great bargins on nuts of all varieties. Most well-stocked grocery stores carry shelled pistachios. If yours doesn't, most will take special order requests. I buy plenty and store them in the freezer. Also, I bet you could find some retailers online that would sell them. Good luck!

Best,
dave

Dave, we are in the sticks, and the only grocery store we have in town is the SuperWalmart. :(
We live in a village of 700, and across the interstate is a town of 6,000. We're a long, long way from LA.
We do get down the road now and then, though, and I'll see what I can find. I have also ordered things online.

Thanks...Connie

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom