"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 02-22-2008, 12:41 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Barley in soup. How?

Sorry for a mundane question, but search was giving me things that weren't even close to what I need to know.
How do I cook barley in soup?
I just bought both kinds, a "quick" kind and a "medium" kind. How would I add this to my broth from last night's roast? I don't even know if barley soaks up liquid like rice does and I would need to cook it first.
Guess I shoulda been paying more attention to mom when I was little

Thanks for any help.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:59 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Add it to the broth and simmer for the time indicated on the box. Quick barley will take a relatively short period of time. Regular barley will take longer. You'll know it's done when the texture is soft.

It does absorb liquid.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:03 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks Andy.
The more I was sittiing here thinking about it, the more I thought I had to precook it or something. Good to know I can do it all in one pot just by adding more liquid.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Yep...what Andy said. I love barley and cook with it regularly. I don't particularly care for the quick-cooking version. I like the texture of "regular" barley better. There's nothing more comforting on a cold day than a nice big bowl of beef and barley soup. Yum!
Old 02-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
...There's nothing more comforting on a cold day than a nice big bowl of beef and barley soup. Yum!

You've got that right, Katie. I always have some beef barley in the freezer. It's one of my favorites.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Katie and Andy-
I've never made beef barley soup before but it sounds great. I'd love to see both of your recipes! I'm a big fan of mushroom barley soup, I think dh would prefer the beef though.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:25 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Best of both worlds, here's a recipe for:

Beef Barley Mushroom Soup

2 Tb Canola Oil
1 1/2 Lb Beef Shin on the bone
2 Tb Flour
TT S&P
1 tsp Canola Oil
1 Carrot, diced
1 Onion, diced
1 Celery rib, diced
4 C Beef Broth
2 C Chicken Broth

1/2 tsp Thyme, dry
2/3 C Pearl Barley, rinsed
1 C Canned Tomato
1 Tb Butter
3/4 Lb Mushrooms, quartered
3 Tb Parsley, minced

Heat a 6-quart saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat; add 2 tablespoons of the oil. Season the meat generously with salt and pepper and dust with the flour. Sear the meat on all sides until well browned.

Wipe the pan out with a paper towel. Lower the heat to medium, add the remaining oil to the pan. Add the carrot, onion, and celery to the pan and sweat for 10 minutes.

Return the meat to the pan. Add the broth and bring it to a boil.

Simmer, covered, 1˝ hours.

Add the thyme, barley, and tomato, continue to simmer covered, for 45 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a medium sauté pan, heat the butter over medium-high heat, add the mushrooms and sauté until golden, about 10 minutes. Season the mushrooms with salt and pepper and add them to the soup, and simmer for 15 minutes more.

Remove the meat from the soup and cut the meat from the bone and dice.

Return the meat to the soup. Add the parsley. Season the soup with salt and pepper.

Note: If making the soup in advance, you may want to adjust the consistency of the soup when re-heating with added water, since the barley has a tendency to absorb the broth.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Well, Murphy's Law had me put the quick barley in my stock from last night... or would that be broth
I was supposed to rinse it first? Oh well.

I'm not a soup maker, so this will be an experiment in terror. I've only made chicken noodle soup before.
Anyway, I added some more beef broth, some water, some corn, a little worcestershire, some dried Italian seasoning and parsley. I used up some chicken broth I had, too, when I saw Andy's recipe had both in it.
We'll see.....

I'm doing it all in the pressure cooker. I just had to turn it from brown to the slow cocker more. It was really coming to a roaring boil. BTW, Andy. The stock from last night did have a very fine layer of fat on top.... it was orange, too. It still wasn't as much as from a slow cooked roast, though.

Thanks for posting that recipe. My mother used to make beef and barley soup from "oxtail". Good stuff
Old 02-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

pacanis, I have also made it with boneless chuck and it's great that way too. It's more meaty and stew-like. No harm in not rinsing the barley, just more thickening power.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
pacanis, I have also made it with boneless chuck and it's great that way too. It's more meaty and stew-like. No harm in not rinsing the barley, just more thickening power.
Is it as good as Campbell's Chunky beef and barley soup?

That stuff is just plain nasty. All their chunky beef, sirloin, whatever soups have the same nasty taste to them. It will be nice to make my own soups and freeze them once I get the hang of it.

Tags
None