"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 02-11-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Basic Homemade Cream Soup Recipe for canned cream of soups

Basic Cream Soup

Ingredients:
2 cups chicken broth, homemade or canned
(you can substitute vegetable broth or beef broth if it suits the recipe more)
1 cup finely cut vegetable (see below)
1 very small onion, minced or processed fine in chopper
1 celery rib, minced or processed fine in chopper
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
salt, pepper to taste
1 cup cream, half and half or whole milk
1-2 tsp. arrowroot,
OR 2 tablespoon each flour and butter (see directions)

Place the broth into a pan, add the cut vegetables and simmer until they are tender. While they are cooking, sauté the onion and celery in a small amount of butter until it is lightly browned. Add the onion, celery and chopped fresh parsley to the vegetables as they finish cooking. Drain the vegetable mixture, reserving the liquid. Puree the vegetables in a blender or food processor and return to the broth. Taste for seasoning. Add more salt or pepper if needed. Add the cream or milk over a very low heat, and choose your thickening option.

Thickening Options:
Arrowroot powder: Mix the arrowroot powder with a small amount of milk and add to the soup.

Flour and butter: Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat and add the flour, stirring until the mixture becomes smooth - for about 3 minutes - to remove the flour taste. Slowly stir into the soup whisking constantly.

After adding your choice of thickening, heat the soup slowly until it comes to a boil and thickens. Garnish with chopped chives, a dash of paprika, or shredded cheese.

For a thicker cream soup cook 3 cups of the veggie of choice - puree 2 cups and add the last cup in chunks.

Vegetable Options
The following vegetables can be used for cream soups. Choose one cup for the recipe above.
Asparagus
carrots
cauliflower
broccoli
1/2 cup each of broccoli and cauliflower
fresh peas
1/2 cup potatoes and 1/2 cup leeks (wash well!)
fresh spinach

Corn: Scrape corn off cobs, steam or boil lightly and add to your cream soup WITHOUT pureeing.

Mushrooms: Slice about a 1/2 pound and sauté in 3 tablespoons butter until soft. As with corn, add without pureeing.

More Tips
The basic soup of puree and stock may be frozen, defrosted and then the milk and thickening added as the recipe calls for.

The cream soup variations can be served hot in the winter with hearty croutons and crusty bread. In the summer you can take advantage of the vegetables and herbs in season. Throw in a springs of basil, thyme or oregano when pureeing.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 01:49 PM   #2
Master Chef

Thanks, elf--this is great to have!

Old 02-11-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
This is wonderful info!

Thanks!! I'll copy and paste it for sure! :D
Old 02-11-2005, 01:52 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

You guys are more than welcome!! I need to go back and say that for a nice thick soup use about 3 cups of the veggie of choice - puree 2 cups either with a hand blender or in a blender and then add the last cup in chunks to the soup.

EDITED TO SAY - I changed the above recipe - enough probably to recopy if that's what you did - I forgot about the celery in the mixture :oops:

Old 02-11-2005, 01:58 PM   #5
Executive Chef

That's awesome, Elf! You must have read my mind, I was thinking about trying cream soup from scratch just a few days ago! I'm gonna try Sierra's Swiss Vegetable Medley in the next couple days, your recipe couldn't be more timely! 8)
Old 02-11-2005, 02:06 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

DC - this is my FAVORITE cream of soup here

The same philosophy can be used in substituting the cauliflower for broccoli, mushrooms, asparagus, potatoes - whatever - it can also be interchanged.

Old 11-12-2005, 05:53 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I'm so glad to have found this thread. I've been looking for this all over. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I've also made a "Cream of California Lettuce" soup using romaine lettuce, finely shredded, then purreed. Garnish with a little bit a romaine cut chiffonade.

I used to make cream soups to serve cold on a salad buffet. For this, I found that I it's best to add the "chunks" after I've tightened the soup, right as I chill the soup for storage (I usually made the soup the day ahead of service). Doing this helps chill the soup, and the "chunks" will cook from the residual heat of the soup.

If you ever get ahold of some fresh morels, make a basic cream of mushroom soup, and use some finely minced morels, and garnish with some chopped morels.
Old 11-14-2005, 05:15 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

ISO: Les Halles Mushroom Soup recipe

i know that we're not supposed to post copyrighted recipes, but if anyone has the "les halles" cookbook with the mushroom soup recipe, i would greatly appreciate if you could pm it to me. thanks in advance.
i have heard so many good things about it.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
None