"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 10-16-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Wink Bean-Pea soup

Want to make some bean soup tomorrow, have a 2 lb. bag of grt.northern. I have a 1 lb. bag of green split peas -- if I mixed the two------- how do you think it would taste ? Weird or would they complement each other? I love them both and want a pot full. Any suggestions or input will be appreciated ! Thanks !

Old 10-16-2006, 09:54 AM   #2
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I have never combined them, but I sure do like each of them separately. However, you'll have to soak the Great Northern's overnight, but the split peas don't require soaking at all....

Old 10-16-2006, 09:55 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I love bean soup and I love pea soup. My experience with mixing them is from those 9 bean blends etc... good for the first day but then the sweetness of the peas overpowers the bean taste...I prefer them separate.

choice is yours of course
Old 10-16-2006, 10:03 AM   #4
Master Chef

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410
I love bean soup and I love pea soup. My experience with mixing them is from those 9 bean blends etc... good for the first day but then the sweetness of the peas overpowers the bean taste...I prefer them separate.

choice is yours of course
Thanks, I agree w/you - never thought of that --- I'll just make the beans ! It was just a thought running threw my head.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:10 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Rather than mix split peas with beans you may wish to combine split peas and black-eyed peas. Both are in the pea family and have similar cooking times. I often make "baked beans" using black-eyed peas and the taste is divine. I love split pea soup and pease porridge and often experiment with different spice and meat combinations but I never thought of mixing pea or bean varieties. I've never made a combination of split peas and black-eyed peas so I cannot vouch first hand for the mixture. I'll probably try it sometime soon.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:12 AM   #6
Head Chef

I have made 15 bean soup often and it always taste better the next day. It has alot of different peas in it also. But I really enjoy just pea soup with ham.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:21 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

I would not mix them. A soup mix has a little of a lot of things so it blends together. You can cook your GN's by doing a fast soak. Put in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Let sit an hour and then do your cooking.
I have been LOVING my pressure cooker since getting it--45 minutes to bean soup--and lots of other things. Getting ready to do a 25 minute beef stew right now!!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:29 AM   #8
Master Chef

I really like mixed beans and peas. Crowder peas and big butter beans are two of my favorite add-ins.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:30 AM   #9
Head Chef

Darn< I keep forgetting to use my pressure cooker for soups and stews. Thanks for the reminder Gretchen.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:42 AM   #10
Master Chef

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora
Rather than mix split peas with beans you may wish to combine split peas and black-eyed peas. Both are in the pea family and have similar cooking times. I often make "baked beans" using black-eyed peas and the taste is divine. I love split pea soup and pease porridge and often experiment with different spice and meat combinations but I never thought of mixing pea or bean varieties. I've never made a combination of split peas and black-eyed peas so I cannot vouch first hand for the mixture. I'll probably try it sometime soon.
Would you believe I have never had black-eyed peas, also many things on this site ! Guess Iam in a rut of cooking the same things all the time- but many favorites.

Tags
None