Bean-Pea soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barb L.

Master Chef
Want to make some bean soup tomorrow, have a 2 lb. bag of grt.northern. I have a 1 lb. bag of green split peas -- if I mixed the two------- how do you think it would taste ? Weird :wacko: or would they complement each other? I love them both and want a pot full. Any suggestions or input will be appreciated ! Thanks !

I have never combined them, but I sure do like each of them separately. However, you'll have to soak the Great Northern's overnight, but the split peas don't require soaking at all....

I love bean soup and I love pea soup. My experience with mixing them is from those 9 bean blends etc... good for the first day but then the sweetness of the peas overpowers the bean taste...I prefer them separate.

choice is yours of course

Robo410 said:
I love bean soup and I love pea soup. My experience with mixing them is from those 9 bean blends etc... good for the first day but then the sweetness of the peas overpowers the bean taste...I prefer them separate.

choice is yours of course
Thanks, I agree w/you - never thought of that --- I'll just make the beans ! It was just a thought running threw my head. :)

Rather than mix split peas with beans you may wish to combine split peas and black-eyed peas. Both are in the pea family and have similar cooking times. I often make "baked beans" using black-eyed peas and the taste is divine. I love split pea soup and pease porridge and often experiment with different spice and meat combinations but I never thought of mixing pea or bean varieties. I've never made a combination of split peas and black-eyed peas so I cannot vouch first hand for the mixture. I'll probably try it sometime soon.

I have made 15 bean soup often and it always taste better the next day. It has alot of different peas in it also. But I really enjoy just pea soup with ham.

I would not mix them. A soup mix has a little of a lot of things so it blends together. You can cook your GN's by doing a fast soak. Put in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Let sit an hour and then do your cooking.
I have been LOVING my pressure cooker since getting it--45 minutes to bean soup--and lots of other things. Getting ready to do a 25 minute beef stew right now!!

Aurora said:
Rather than mix split peas with beans you may wish to combine split peas and black-eyed peas. Both are in the pea family and have similar cooking times. I often make "baked beans" using black-eyed peas and the taste is divine. I love split pea soup and pease porridge and often experiment with different spice and meat combinations but I never thought of mixing pea or bean varieties. I've never made a combination of split peas and black-eyed peas so I cannot vouch first hand for the mixture. I'll probably try it sometime soon.
Would you believe I have never had black-eyed peas, also many things on this site ! Guess Iam in a rut of cooking the same things all the time- but many favorites. :)

I enjoy Bean Soup and Split Pea Soup. I don't like the taste of them combined. My neighbor had me over for dinner a while ago and she had made the Bean-Pea Soup. Of course I said it was delicious but I definately like the separate soups.

Back
Top Bottom