"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2018, 12:20 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Bean Question- To Soak or Not

I want to make bean soup in a Instant Pot, with Ham Hock, and a bag of beans. Do I need to sock the beans over night or rinse and dump the beans in the pot with the ham hock and water. I use the 8 hour soak method on the stove top for soup now, I want to try making soup in the Instant Pot. Any thoughts or insight are much appreciated. Elf

Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 12:44 PM   #2
Executive Chef

You can:
1. not soak
2. soak overnight, drain
3. bring to a boil and let sit for an hour, drain
4. add baking soda to soaking water (to help with gas, questionable whether this helps or not), drain

Since an instapot will pressure cook the beans, if they are cooked until tender, they will be safe to eat. How long does the instapot directions say to pressure cook? If it was canning, it would pressure can for 60-90 minutes and those are tender, as a comparison. I hope that helps.

blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 01:25 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

One of the great things about a pressure cooker is that you don't have to soak the beans before making the soup. This is a pretty detailed article, and it's a very good website for more information.

https://www.pressurecookingtoday.com...nto-bean-soup/
Old 02-17-2018, 01:46 PM   #4
Head Chef

It also depends on what beans you are using
Old 02-17-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
It also depends on what beans you are using
For pressure cooking? Why?
Old 02-17-2018, 04:20 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
For pressure cooking? Why?
Different beans have different structures and cook in different amounts of time. Garbanzo beans can be cooked in 45 minutes, while black beans may take a couple hours depending on the heat used.
In addition, some beans are stored longer, used less in general, drier and then take longer to rehydrate, other beans are used more often, not as dry and cook faster.
Some beans are more toxic if under cooked and some beans can be barely cooked and non toxic, the difference between kidney beans and garbanzo beans (chick peas).
Beans are one of those items that vary a lot depending on type, drying and toxicity.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:42 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Different beans have different structures and cook in different amounts of time. Garbanzo beans can be cooked in 45 minutes, while black beans may take a couple hours depending on the heat used.
In addition, some beans are stored longer, used less in general, drier and then take longer to rehydrate, other beans are used more often, not as dry and cook faster.
Some beans are more toxic if under cooked and some beans can be barely cooked and non toxic, the difference between kidney beans and garbanzo beans (chick peas).
Beans are one of those items that vary a lot depending on type, drying and toxicity.
No wonder I don't cook beans very often

Actually, it's because I have to minimize high-fiber food, but that's a lot of guesswork and details to keep track of.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
Senior Cook

I got the Instant Pot for Christmas from my wife. My dear wife is deathly afraid of pressure cookers, she won't allow me to use the one I have, but because it is electric it isn't as dangerous, go figure, sometimes woman just don't think straight! I am now working my way through my recipes trying it out. Thanks for the web link GotGarlic, I'll jump over there tomorrow while I watch the NACAR Race. Thank for your reply Elf
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 06:11 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
I got the Instant Pot for Christmas from my wife. My dear wife is deathly afraid of pressure cookers, she won't allow me to use the one I have, but because it is electric it isn't as dangerous, go figure, sometimes woman just don't think straight! I am now working my way through my recipes trying it out. Thanks for the web link GotGarlic, I'll jump over there tomorrow while I watch the NACAR Race. Thank for your reply Elf
You're welcome. I got my Instant Pot about two years ago. I feel more comfortable with it, too. The newer electronic ones have more and better safety features than the old stovetop ones.

Good luck!
Old 02-17-2018, 06:20 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
I got the Instant Pot for Christmas from my wife. My dear wife is deathly afraid of pressure cookers, she won't allow me to use the one I have, but because it is electric it isn't as dangerous, go figure, sometimes woman just don't think straight!
There are women like that, they don't think straight, they think crooked, they just want to blow up their husbands and then they have no liability. Women can be so stupid as though no one would notice.

Tags
None