Bean Soup Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eriu

Assistant Cook
I've never made bean soup before today but I wanted to give it a try. I soaked navy beans overnight. I added a meaty ham bone, onion, celery, and carrot to the soup pot. Covered them with water and chicken broth and have been simmering the pot. It still needs to cook a bit more. but it smells pretty good.

My question...in looking at recipes on line I noticed where some add a can of diced tomatoes or tomato paste to their soup. Does anyone here do that? I'm wondering if I need to add this before I get the entire batch finished.

Thanks in advance.

I prefer it WITH tomatoes. I like to flavor with a bay leaf, some cumin, a bit of chili seasoning (not much because I don't want it to taste like chili), salt, and pepper. And I like some andouille in mine also - or at least some kielbasa.

l'm making soup like this tomorrow.

I've made many a bean soup with tomatoes and many a one without.

So it's up to you, though the preparation you describe generally does not have them added.

Just add them in toward the end of cooking because their acid can inhibit the softening of the beans.

I make mine without, but sometimes I will put a dab of ketchup in when eating.. along with fresh diced onion.. OOh... don't forget the cornbread!!

Don't laugh until you try it!

I've never made bean soup before today but I wanted to give it a try. I soaked navy beans overnight. I added a meaty ham bone, onion, celery, and carrot to the soup pot. Covered them with water and chicken broth and have been simmering the pot. It still needs to cook a bit more. but it smells pretty good.

My question...in looking at recipes on line I noticed where some add a can of diced tomatoes or tomato paste to their soup. Does anyone here do that? I'm wondering if I need to add this before I get the entire batch finished.

Thanks in advance.

I never put tomatoes in mine but I do dice up 2 small potatoes to put in it.

Back
Top Bottom