"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 09-01-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Beans, potato, carrot, pecan soup recipe?

Hello,

So I have in my house:
  • 1.5 lbs dried great northern beans
  • Several frozen kaffir lime leaves from 9 months ago
  • 0.7lb ORGANIC baby carrots
  • .25lb frozen pecans
  • One large white potato (not russet)
  • I can get onion/garlic/spice if necessary, but I have HEARTBURN, so I avoid
I was thinking of making soup just for my thin self (enough for me to eat once a day for 4 days. I don't need to use up all of the ingredients. I will make brown or white rice also.

Any recipe ideas? Is it possible to keep everything in one pot to avoid extra clean up?

Thank you!

Old 09-01-2013, 03:45 PM   #2
Sous Chef

I would cook the beans with what ever herbs don't add to the heartburn problem, add the carrots and potato toward the end of the cooking, add some butter for flavoring, salt & pepper to taste and be prepared to be bored on day three and four with my meals. Toast the pecans and munch on them for a snack and save the kaffir lime leaves for another day.

Old 09-01-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks!
1. Do I soak the beans overnight?
2. How do I know when to add the carrots and potato?
3. How thick to cut the potato?
Old 09-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #4
Sous Chef

I think it depends on your time. Do the quick soak method or overnight, which ever works for you. It depends on how done you want the veggies. Personally I would add them after the beans have cooked for little while and plan on some well done veggies. With so little flavor in the soup, it wouldn't matter. Actually I might not include the potato and use if for a separate meal during the four day stint just to break up the monotony especially if there's a dab or two of butter to get the tater going.
P.S. You're the boss, cut the potato as thick as you like.
Old 09-01-2013, 07:26 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thank you. I plan to cook the beans, potato, and carrot together after soaking the beans overnight. I will add some herbs.

To break the monotony, I guess I will cook for only 3 days and eat other stuff on the 4th day.
Old 09-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
Senior Cook

See if you can find some cabbage to shred and pop in the soup. I make a lazy bean soup. I soak beans, throw celery, onion, carrot, cabbage and potato in a blender til chopped. Then I pour it into the beans. Thyme and parsley are good to throw in. I do it in a crock pot for at least 6 hours. A good homemmade bread really finishes the meal. For meat eaters throw in bacon or a smoked hock or two.
Old 09-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

So, I boiled the beans with some herbs and added sea salt. I had soaked them overnight.
Using the same pot, I then steamed the potato and organic carrots.
In the microwave, I can cooked brown rice.

The result: many days of non boring and nutritious meals!

Thanks again!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130902_140444.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	18576

Tags
recipe, soup, ca, beans, potato, carrot, pecan

Beans, potato, carrot, pecan soup recipe? Hello, So I have in my house: [LIST] [*]1.5 lbs dried great northern beans [*]Several frozen kaffir lime leaves from 9 months ago [*]0.7lb ORGANIC baby carrots [*].25lb frozen pecans [*]One large white potato (not russet) [*]I can get onion/garlic/spice if necessary, but I have HEARTBURN, so I avoid [/LIST] I was thinking of making soup just for my thin self (enough for me to eat once a day for 4 days. I don't need to use up all of the ingredients. I will make brown or white rice also. Any recipe ideas? Is it possible to keep everything in one pot to avoid extra clean up? Thank you! 3 stars 1 reviews