"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 01-25-2014, 12:02 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Beef & Vegetable Soup.

I am on a soup kick.
I am thawing out some stew beef I bought. Its about 1.5 pounds.
I have the regular stuff like celery, carrots, potato's and onions.
I do not have any beef bones.

How important would it be to make a beef stock first? I can go to the store and get some bones. Then roast them and make stock.

If I do not get any bones, would browning the beef chunks then adding water and simmering until tender be as good?

My gut tells me to go and get the bones and make a stock first. (I then will have beef stock to make French Onion soup another day).
And since I assume I will be going to the store, any vegetable that is a must in this type of soup that I should pick up.

Any and all suggestions accepted and appreciated.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:08 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Barley would be a wonderful addition. Turnips or parsnips would be nice too. I make soup without browned bone stock, just brown the beef, but that would certainly add some great flavor. I use Better than Boullion. A bit of red wine can be good (in the soup too!)

Old 01-25-2014, 12:23 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree. Barley.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:47 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Making a beef stock takes many hours to properly extract full flavor from the bones. Chicken stock, not so much. You may want to make a soup in a shorter period of time. I use beef broth or beef base for beef soups.

Always brown meats going into soups, stews and braises. Brown (not grey, dark brown-the color of dark chocolate) is the color of great flavor. Don't forget to deglaze the pan you use for the browning. Those brown bits are full of flavor.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:20 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Making a beef stock takes many hours to properly extract full flavor from the bones. Chicken stock, not so much. You may want to make a soup in a shorter period of time. I use beef broth or beef base for beef soups.

Always brown meats going into soups, stews and braises. Brown (not grey, dark brown-the color of dark chocolate) is the color of great flavor. Don't forget to deglaze the pan you use for the browning. Those brown bits are full of flavor.
Thanks Andy. The bones are roasting at this very moment. I will brown up the aromatics in the stock pot before adding the beef bones and water.
These bones were just cut for me at the store.

How long should I simmer the stock. I simmer my chicken stock for up to 4 hours. Lightly simmer.
Should I go longer on the beef bones? I have all day. I make the soup tomorrow.

I guess I could have put the aromatics in the oven with the bones?
Old 01-25-2014, 02:27 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
...How long should I simmer the stock. I simmer my chicken stock for up to 4 hours. Lightly simmer.
Should I go longer on the beef bones? I have all day...I guess I could have put the aromatics in the oven with the bones?

For the bones, 12 hours is not too long. Remember you're dealing with much bigger bones with thicker cross sections.

Yes, you could have roasted the aromatics.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
Master Chef

I absolutely need cabbage in my beef soup. To me it's just not the same without it.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 02:56 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
For the bones, 12 hours is not too long. Remember you're dealing with much bigger bones with thicker cross sections.

Yes, you could have roasted the aromatics.
I had the butcher cut the bones into rounds. About 3/4" thick. I roasted them for 45 minutes @ 375, then broiled them for a few more minutes to brown more.
I was worried that all the marrow was going to melt away.

Anyway, I hope I bought enough bones. I only have about two(2) pounds.
And I want enough stock for two dishes.
The butcher was sawing them up for me. I should have just taken all he had out. Hindsight.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2014, 03:45 PM   #9
Executive Chef

When I have no bones, I brown my meat and veggies on med high and get a really nice layer of fond going before putting in my water or stock.You will get a really good color and flavor from this. Of course home made stock is best, but if I don't have any that doesn't stop me from making soup. The bought ones are pretty good and will do in a pinch.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:54 AM   #10
Sous Chef

Add 1/2-- 1 teaspoon of curry powder with your aromatics. It won't give you an Indian 'curry' flavor but it makes beef taste amazing. I like Barley with my beef soup too. I use Pearl barley.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beef, soup