"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 01-09-2005, 04:19 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via AIM to Tasha Send a message via Yahoo to Tasha
BEEF CONSOMME? SOS

Ok, I feel really stupid asking this but what I beef consomme? :oops: And can I use beef broth or bullion cubes instead?
Thank you.....!!

Old 01-09-2005, 04:55 PM   #2
Executive Chef

I did a bit of research and it appears that consomme is a soup unto itself. I would usually defer to an expert but since this is an SOS, here's a brief discussion of what I found. Still not sure what the policy is regarding posting a possible rival's website, but here it goes.

http://www.globalgourmet.com/food/eg.../eggsalad.html

After reading that you might be better off just using boullion instead!

Old 01-09-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

Tasha -
Never feel stupid for asking a question! Remember, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

Whenever a recipe calls for beef consumme, I just substitute with beef broth - just as long as it's not weak.

Hope your recipe comes out yummy!
Old 01-10-2005, 12:29 AM   #4

jkath is probably a pretty good cook, as well as being very smart at answering questions like yours!

Will wait for her responses for NYE "games night", but she is exactly correct...the "stupid" or "silly" question is the one you do not ask...

And, of course, we all want the recipes to "come out"...

Lifter
Old 01-10-2005, 05:01 AM   #5
Head Chef

Consomme is oftenserved like a soup, but doesn't have to be. It's simply stock that's been clarified- the classical method is with a raft of egg shells. The egg coagulates and ties up junk that clouds the stock. The raft is then carefully fished out & the stock is strained.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:51 AM   #6
Head Chef

Crystal-clear rich-flavored consommes (pronounced consomay) are the ultimate in stock or broth-based soups. It is made by clarifying a full-flavored stock or broth by pulling out impurities using the method Rob mentioned. A consomme's flavor and clarity are a couple of hallmarks of a good chef. In a sense, excellent consommes are considered the height of gustatory elegance, something chefs take pride in.

So I'm not sure why a recipe would call for a consomme as a cooking ingredient. After all the effort to raise the consomme to such a high form, it only makes sense to present it as is, an elegant clear soup (with some equally elegant garnish), and not demote it into a mere ingredient for some other dish. :)
Old 01-10-2005, 06:22 AM   #7
Executive Chef

I've seen a number of recipes which call for tinned consomme - suppose it replaces stock cubes, and may be more intensely flavoured than some of the more run of the mill stockcubes?
Old 01-10-2005, 08:27 AM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

Now that we know this is soup I will move it to the soup category
Old 01-10-2005, 08:50 AM   #9
Head Chef

Hi Ishbel! I didn't know there were such things as canned consommes! I have not seen them here. Is it high in flavor and clarity? Or is it merely beef broth given a nice gourmet name for marketing purposes? Could it be that the recipes refer to stock/broth and consomme interchangeably? If it's been clarified, I would hazzard that canned consomme is a bit more expensive than canned beef broth. You may be right that the canned consomme flavor may be more intense and therefore the recipe calls for such. I wouldn't mind using canned consomme myself if such is the case, to raise the level of my cooking.

I just know that if I were to painstakingly make a successful consomme from scratch, I would present it to my guests as a clear soup, with pride. Even without garnish. Because it will stand on it's own merits without having to be dressed up or camouflaged with anything.

Then again, if the canned consomme is excellent in flavor and clarity, maybe I'll just skip the entire process and serve it as my own elegant clear soup! :)
Old 01-10-2005, 09:18 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Baxter's Foods - a Scottish firm - make really good tinned soups! I've always got tins of their Consomme, French onion and cock a leekie soup in the cupboard - because I can use either as a base for other dishes, or as a very reasonable 'readymade' soup!

Here's their website info on their consomme
http://www.baxters.com/products/soup/special/001.html

As far as I can discern it really is consomme - and therefore not a marketing ploy. Mind you, if we were talking about Heinz soups........ :D

Tags
None