"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 09-20-2007, 11:12 AM   #31
Master Chef

I do not know about your area. Here in the States any grocery store has a small kosher section and that is where I find "sour salt" or any kosher grocery store. It can also be replaced by simple lemon juice.

Now, having said that, I urge you not to use any of the above ingredients.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:13 AM   #32
Master Chef

P.S. if you still decide to use the stuff and can't find it pm me, i'll send you some.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:43 AM   #33
Head Chef

To saur or not to saur, is that the question?

Charlie, Question from this humble beginner cook. When you recommend not to use saur salt and I assume also lemon juice, how about the cold borsch(t) recipe? I assume that the lack of meat broth requires a bit of sour to create the mild and mellow tart taste. Am I reading your comments and recipe correctly? Personally, I like a nice cold borsch but haven't tried your cold one. Thanks, D
Old 09-20-2007, 07:32 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Citric Acid, sour salt and Tartaric Acid Crystals

thank you for your responses. I looked at a local drugstore as one of your members advised. the superstore drugist had no idea what I was talking about but my local Delton Drugs had citric Acid on the shelf as well as Tartaric Acid Crystals.

I had emailed empire spice mills of Winnipeg who made my Mom's sour salt. They replied that they still make sour salt but they currently sell it as Tartaric Acid Crystals, available in Alberta at Nutters and some Sobeys.

I have used my new "citric acid" sour salt in a pot of meatless borsch and it has turned out like my Mom's which was what I aimed for. We eat it hot. Sour cream is optional.

JC.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:23 AM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
I do not know about your area. Here in the States any grocery store has a small kosher section and that is where I find "sour salt" or any kosher grocery store. It can also be replaced by simple lemon juice.

Now, having said that, I urge you not to use any of the above ingredients.
Charlie, As to the saur salt - if the cook took the long road and made kvass as in the "old days" before lemons and saur salt in Ukraine would that give the desired taste without the dreaded chemicals? Can't have a quick bowl of cold borscht that way but it would be authentic would it not?
Old 09-21-2007, 01:45 AM   #36
Master Chef

I do use saur salt in cold borscht, but very little. For a 3 quart pot I add a very small pinch of it. Lemon juice would work.
I've never made kvas my self, but I guess it would work too. But it would be more Russian than Ukkrainian.

Tags
None