"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 09-14-2015, 11:11 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Butter beans and ham hocks. Very comforting on a cold winter's night.

Old 09-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Butter beans and ham hocks. Very comforting on a cold winter's night.
When I lived in WV I could get #300 cans of butter beans, now I'm lucky to find a #3 can and when I do the are way over a dollar; beans, ramps, ham hocks and corn bread were a favorite. The way i used to do it was like soup.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Bushrod View Post
I buy the low sodium Bush beans but keep dried in the pantry because I love doing the process and feels like I'd doing something health. lol

What do you consider a good hot dog? I find them all too salty and like them best grilled over charcoal.
I found a brand out of Wisconsin call Cher-Make. They are encased in a natural casing, and have a light, smoky flavor that isn't nearly as salty as most. The flavor is very good. They have an online presence. I believe they can be ordered. They're carried at one of our local supermarkets. They also make other kinds of sausages and products as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

My second husband was a dyed in the wool WV hillbilly. Right down to clog dancing. Oh how he loved his beans and ham hocks. I once called his mother and asked her about some of his favorite dishes. Got out my JOC and tried to find as many of them as I could. It is true. The way to a man's heart, is through his stomach.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:46 PM   #15
Head Chef

Thank you, Chief. I appreciate your clear and thorough answers.
Bean Appetit!
Old 09-14-2015, 03:39 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
I found a brand out of Wisconsin call Cher-Make. They are encased in a natural casing, and have a light, smoky flavor that isn't nearly as salty as most. The flavor is very good. They have an online presence. I believe they can be ordered. They're carried at one of our local supermarkets. They also make other kinds of sausages and products as well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
We have a plant here just four or less minutes away from where I live. Kayem's. There are two sides to their plant. Strictly Kosher and non Kosher. They make hot dogs that are Kosher. I always buy a ten pound box. Then I have to put most of them in the freezer so I won't eat them all at once.
Old 03-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I kinda did a similar take on this...but I started with two fresh pork hocks. I had been wanting to try "stove top smoking" so I lined a SS wok that I got at the Thrift Store with foil, put some pecan wood in the bottom, lit that, put a rack on top and put 2 fresh pork hocks that I seasoned with S&P and chipolte (sp) pepper. Made sure top was sealed tightly, and let it smoke away for about 25 minutes. In the meantime, I put chopped up parsnips, fresh thyme, garlic, onion, carrots, and more seasonings in a stock pot. Dug out some chicken chipolte sausage out of the freezer, tossed that in. Added beef stock. And then tossed the smoked hocks in. Cooked that for about 2 hours until the meat fell off the bones. Removed the bones, added chickpeas, cabbage, and some sauerkraut, a bit of fish sauce, a jar of tomatoes from the garden. Adjusted the seasoning. Added some grated lemon zest. It was delish. I was really happy with the stove top smoking experiment. Meant to add a vanilla bean but forgot that. I did have to adjust the foil on the outside of the pan...smoke was leaking out. Definitely want to make sure that there is a tight seal when you do this.
Old 03-17-2016, 05:26 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I kinda did a similar take on this...but I started with two fresh pork hocks. I had been wanting to try "stove top smoking" so I lined a SS wok that I got at the Thrift Store with foil, put some pecan wood in the bottom, lit that, put a rack on top and put 2 fresh pork hocks that I seasoned with S&P and chipolte (sp) pepper. Made sure top was sealed tightly, and let it smoke away for about 25 minutes. In the meantime, I put chopped up parsnips, fresh thyme, garlic, onion, carrots, and more seasonings in a stock pot. Dug out some chicken chipolte sausage out of the freezer, tossed that in. Added beef stock. And then tossed the smoked hocks in. Cooked that for about 2 hours until the meat fell off the bones. Removed the bones, added chickpeas, cabbage, and some sauerkraut, a bit of fish sauce, a jar of tomatoes from the garden. Adjusted the seasoning. Added some grated lemon zest. It was delish. I was really happy with the stove top smoking experiment. Meant to add a vanilla bean but forgot that. I did have to adjust the foil on the outside of the pan...smoke was leaking out. Definitely want to make sure that there is a tight seal when you do this.
Sounds way-good. I didn't think to add carrot or tomato.

Seeeeya Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #19
Sous Chef

OK, so I have to ask. If we're starting with beans right out of the bag, then they have to soak overnight, right?

Do you have any recommendations about doing this in the crock pot? I make refried beans in my crockpot by adding 8 cups of chicken broth to 16oz of pinto beans (along with some spices and stuff) and cooking on high for about 8 hours. The beans turn brown and the broth gets thick and brothy like at the bottom. So I'm wondering if I could use that instead of milk and water and just add the other beans?

Oh, and just to clarify, I don't soak the pinto beans overnight if I'm putting them in the crock pot for 8 hours and they come out very tender.
Old 03-17-2016, 08:55 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

rodentraiser, I've used that method to make split-pea soup, so I think if you substitute the ingredients and use dry beans, it will work fine in the slow cooker.

You need to pre-soak for cooking beans the traditional way. You can soak overnight or you can bring water to a boil, put the beans in, cover and turn off the heat, and soak for an hour to get the same result.

Tags
beans, onion, recipe, salt, soup

Best Bean Soup I've Ever Made Ok, I know, bean soup is a very easy soup to make. But you have to understand, me being who I am, I often overcomplicate things. I'm always experimenting. For this soup, I kept it very simple and it came out way good. So, I'm just putting in this recipe to remind everyone how good food can be, without a lot of fuss. Enjoy. Ingredients: (All Beans were purchased pre-cooked from the supermarket) 48 oz. pinto beans 15 oz. black beans 15 oz. dark red kidney beans 1 large onion, rough dice 1 very good hot dog, quartered and sliced 8 strips of bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces 1 cup water 1/4 cup milk 1 tsp. kosher salt 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Fry the bacon, until half done (this isn't supposed to be crispy bacon), add the onion and pepper. When the onion is just beginning to soften, add the beans. let simmer for ten minutes. Add the salt, water, and milk. Simmer for thirty minutes to let the flavors distribute. Taste, correct the seasonings, and serve. Like I said, this was a very simple bean soup. And it was very tasty. The leftover beans can now be used to make baked beans, or refried beans, or a really good batch of chili, or put into some other kind of soup, used for lunches at work. I might even talk myself into serving up a bowl for a late night snack, with some good cheddar grated over the top. Occasionally, just once in a great while, life doesn't have to be so complicated. I have too many other things to complicate my days and nights right now. Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews