"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Old 03-24-2016, 04:34 PM   #31
Sous Chef
I should have said, "I can get away with just rinsing them". That might have been clearer.

I've only tried making bean soup, split pea soup, and refried beans in the crock pot.

The one time I made bean soup and left the crock pot on low (even for 8 hours), the beans were still hard.

With split pea soup and refried beans, the recipes said to put them on high for 8 hours (even though I normally cook on low in a crock pot), and I've never had any problem with the peas or the beans being hard.

On high, it take my crock pot about 3 to 4 hours to start the water boiling and then I just let the water (actually chicken broth) boil for another couple of hours. With the pinto beans, it's to turn them that pretty dark brown color so I can mash them into refried beans.

And yes, that's how I make my refried beans (with spices, of course), even though it's not the traditional way. So much cheaper and better tasting than what I get in a can.

rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote

beans, onion, recipe, salt, soup

Best Bean Soup I've Ever Made Ok, I know, bean soup is a very easy soup to make. But you have to understand, me being who I am, I often overcomplicate things. I'm always experimenting. For this soup, I kept it very simple and it came out way good. So, I'm just putting in this recipe to remind everyone how good food can be, without a lot of fuss. Enjoy. Ingredients: (All Beans were purchased pre-cooked from the supermarket) 48 oz. pinto beans 15 oz. black beans 15 oz. dark red kidney beans 1 large onion, rough dice 1 very good hot dog, quartered and sliced 8 strips of bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces 1 cup water 1/4 cup milk 1 tsp. kosher salt 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Fry the bacon, until half done (this isn't supposed to be crispy bacon), add the onion and pepper. When the onion is just beginning to soften, add the beans. let simmer for ten minutes. Add the salt, water, and milk. Simmer for thirty minutes to let the flavors distribute. Taste, correct the seasonings, and serve. Like I said, this was a very simple bean soup. And it was very tasty. The leftover beans can now be used to make baked beans, or refried beans, or a really good batch of chili, or put into some other kind of soup, used for lunches at work. I might even talk myself into serving up a bowl for a late night snack, with some good cheddar grated over the top. Occasionally, just once in a great while, life doesn't have to be so complicated. I have too many other things to complicate my days and nights right now. Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews