"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 09-11-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
Master Chef

Best Bean Soup I've Ever Made

Ok, I know, bean soup is a very easy soup to make. But you have to understand, me being who I am, I often overcomplicate things. I'm always experimenting. For this soup, I kept it very simple and it came out way good. So, I'm just putting in this recipe to remind everyone how good food can be, without a lot of fuss. Enjoy.

Ingredients: (All Beans were purchased pre-cooked from the supermarket)
48 oz. pinto beans
15 oz. black beans
15 oz. dark red kidney beans
1 large onion, rough dice
1 very good hot dog, quartered and sliced
8 strips of bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup water
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper.

Fry the bacon, until half done (this isn't supposed to be crispy bacon), add the onion and pepper. When the onion is just beginning to soften, add the beans. let simmer for ten minutes. Add the salt, water, and milk. Simmer for thirty minutes to let the flavors distribute. Taste, correct the seasonings, and serve.

Like I said, this was a very simple bean soup. And it was very tasty. The leftover beans can now be used to make baked beans, or refried beans, or a really good batch of chili, or put into some other kind of soup, used for lunches at work. I might even talk myself into serving up a bowl for a late night snack, with some good cheddar grated over the top.

Occasionally, just once in a great while, life doesn't have to be so complicated. I have too many other things to complicate my days and nights right now.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

That sounds great, Chief, and very easy to make a big batch. I love bean with bacon soup. I don't know why it never occurred to me to make it at home.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Soup is the greatest thing and it is almost soup season (Hooray!). I make Black Bean soup, even going so far as soaking the beans. Your recipe, Chief, sounds really good! I may have to give it try but I'll wait until it isn't 95 degrees outside! I'm so ready for rain.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:49 PM   #4
Master Chef

Sounds good, Chief. I love bean soups. Sometimes I'll remove some of the beans and mash them, then add back in for a little thicker texture.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:41 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I do that as well. Gives a nice texture to the soup.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:01 PM   #6
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Love Bean Soup!!! Come on cold weather!!!
Old 09-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Love Bean Soup!!! Come on cold weather!!!
Me, too! I bought bags of black, pinto beans and split peas this week. A local grocery is closing so they had everything marked way down. Can't go wrong with having these on hand. A pantry staple.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Ok, I know, bean soup is a very easy soup to make. But you have to understand, me being who I am, I often overcomplicate things. I'm always experimenting. For this soup, I kept it very simple and it came out way good. So, I'm just putting in this recipe to remind everyone how good food can be, without a lot of fuss. Enjoy.

Ingredients: (All Beans were purchased pre-cooked from the supermarket)
48 oz. pinto beans
15 oz. black beans
15 oz. dark red kidney beans
1 large onion, rough dice
1 very good hot dog, quartered and sliced
8 strips of bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
1 cup water
1/4 cup milk
1 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper.

Fry the bacon, until half done (this isn't supposed to be crispy bacon), add the onion and pepper. When the onion is just beginning to soften, add the beans. let simmer for ten minutes. Add the salt, water, and milk. Simmer for thirty minutes to let the flavors distribute. Taste, correct the seasonings, and serve.

Like I said, this was a very simple bean soup. And it was very tasty. The leftover beans can now be used to make baked beans, or refried beans, or a really good batch of chili, or put into some other kind of soup, used for lunches at work. I might even talk myself into serving up a bowl for a late night snack, with some good cheddar grated over the top.

Occasionally, just once in a great while, life doesn't have to be so complicated. I have too many other things to complicate my days and nights right now.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Thanks, Chief, for another good, usable recipe. A couple of questions: your note of pre-cooked means canned beans, right? I've heard that canned beans are equal in every way to dried beans cooked in the kitchen. I've also heard that people rinse and drain cooked beans before adding them to a recipe. When I used canned beans in chili, for example, I include the liquid. Are the beans in this recipe rinsed and drained? Does draining affect the saltiness? And is leftover soup freezable in zip baggies? Thank you for sharing your expertise with us.
Old 09-14-2015, 08:07 AM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlizzie View Post
Thanks, Chief, for another good, usable recipe. A couple of questions: your note of pre-cooked means canned beans, right? I've heard that canned beans are equal in every way to dried beans cooked in the kitchen. I've also heard that people rinse and drain cooked beans before adding them to a recipe. When I used canned beans in chili, for example, I include the liquid. Are the beans in this recipe rinsed and drained? Does draining affect the saltiness? And is leftover soup freezable in zip baggies? Thank you for sharing your expertise with us.
Draining and rinsing does reduce the salt content of the beans. But I find the dissolved soluble fiber in the can liquor desirable, and that same liquid has flavor. for soup, or chili, I just dump it in. If I'm using the beans for something like three-bean salad, or as a side dish, I drain and rinse. And yes, canned beans are pretty much the same in flavor and texture as home-cooked bans.

That being said, I much prefer to cook other legumes, such as split peas, and lentils from scratch. The only thing with canned beans is that if you get cheap brands, sometimes they can pick up a metallic flavor. Factory cooked beans that have been bottled have never given me an off flavor.

Dried beans are great because they are easy to store, and are more condensed in space than are their canned cousins. They are also lightler in weight. A bin full of dried legumes is a lot more food than is a bin full of canned, or bottled legumes.

As for the saltiness of canned beans, simply add less salt when seasoning the pot. You can also purchase canned and bottle beans that are salt free.

Seeeeeeya; chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:08 AM   #10
Senior Cook

I buy the low sodium Bush beans but keep dried in the pantry because I love doing the process and feels like I'd doing something health. lol

What do you consider a good hot dog? I find them all too salty and like them best grilled over charcoal.

Tags
beans, onion, recipe, salt, soup

Best Bean Soup I've Ever Made Ok, I know, bean soup is a very easy soup to make. But you have to understand, me being who I am, I often overcomplicate things. I'm always experimenting. For this soup, I kept it very simple and it came out way good. So, I'm just putting in this recipe to remind everyone how good food can be, without a lot of fuss. Enjoy. Ingredients: (All Beans were purchased pre-cooked from the supermarket) 48 oz. pinto beans 15 oz. black beans 15 oz. dark red kidney beans 1 large onion, rough dice 1 very good hot dog, quartered and sliced 8 strips of bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces 1 cup water 1/4 cup milk 1 tsp. kosher salt 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Fry the bacon, until half done (this isn't supposed to be crispy bacon), add the onion and pepper. When the onion is just beginning to soften, add the beans. let simmer for ten minutes. Add the salt, water, and milk. Simmer for thirty minutes to let the flavors distribute. Taste, correct the seasonings, and serve. Like I said, this was a very simple bean soup. And it was very tasty. The leftover beans can now be used to make baked beans, or refried beans, or a really good batch of chili, or put into some other kind of soup, used for lunches at work. I might even talk myself into serving up a bowl for a late night snack, with some good cheddar grated over the top. Occasionally, just once in a great while, life doesn't have to be so complicated. I have too many other things to complicate my days and nights right now. Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews