"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 03-07-2006, 10:30 AM   #11
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
Actually, I'm not sure what a few drops of smoke flavoring would do, but, maybe sub one of the small cans of clams with a can a smoked clams?
That does sound really good! I am so glad I came on the internet before I headed out to the market this morning. I'm planning on making this chowder this afternoon (and baking some nice bread too! I feel so domestic...LOL ) I'm going to use a can of smoked clams and let you know how it works out!

Old 03-07-2006, 11:00 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

looks good allen. clam chowdah is a fave in my house too. i've never made one before, so i think i'll try your recipe. thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumblebee
That does sound really good! I am so glad I came on the internet before I headed out to the market this morning
things like this make me wonder why foodtv starts it's daily programming at 9:30am on weekdays. what about all of those little old ladies (and me ) that like to get thier food shopping done early, and plan the day's meals just as early?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:55 PM   #13
Contest Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
things like this make me wonder why foodtv starts it's daily programming at 9:30am on weekdays. what about all of those little old ladies (and me ) that like to get thier food shopping done early, and plan the day's meals just as early?
Hehe.. I'm the same way. I like doing my food shopping EARLY (like right when the store opens) There is usually only a handful of people out shopping at that time and it's so much easier! Plus, planning and preparing things early means relaxing and not stressing about "what's for supper" later on?

Anyhow, I made this chowder tonight and I used smoked clams. It turned out so delicious! I also omitted the bacon and just sauteed the veg in a pat of butter - everything caramalized nicely and the flavour was terrific. The smoked clams really added a nice, subtle flavour - I will be making this again!

For those who love a nice, creamy clam chowder, give it a try with the smoked clams... it's really quite delicious.
Old 03-07-2006, 09:02 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenMI
Why, WHY!?!? Must you torture me
...your wife pays me big bucks to torture you

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:16 PM   #15
Master Chef

Yum

AllenMI...this I have to try... sounds too good to be true! Even in this Texas heat!!!
Old 03-07-2006, 09:41 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
...your wife pays me big bucks to torture you
ROFL! I just showed this to PeppA, and she came >< that close to spraying pop out through her nose and over the screen of my laptop!

Heck, I may have to try the smoked clams once, to see what it tastes like.
Old 03-08-2006, 08:59 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Hehe.. I'm the same way. I like doing my food shopping EARLY (like right when the store opens) There is usually only a handful of people out shopping at that time and it's so much easier! Plus, planning and preparing things early means relaxing and not stressing about "what's for supper" later on?
grumbl, i like to do my food shopping after working my weekly midnight shifts, around 7:30 or 8am. it's just me, and very short old ladies on a mission.
lol, you wouldn't believe how often i am asked to get stuff form the top shelves
there's better selection, especially with meats; the shelves are rarely out of anything; and you begin the day having already accomplished one of your tasks that would be much more time consuming later.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 09:02 AM   #18
Chief Eating Officer

I enjoy going shopping at 1 or 2am every once in a while. The selection stinks, but the people watching is great. You get some real freaks in the supermarket at those times. I wonder if they are looking at me thinking the same thing
Old 03-08-2006, 05:22 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

they are, geebs. Watch out and act normal.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:57 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
I dont eat any pork/beef/chicken (or lard or any "fats" from those animals) I do eat fish/seafood though.

Anyway, I think you guys are right about using butter. Olive oil might make it taste funny. And kitchenelf, your idea of using smoke flavouring is a good one. That would give it a slightly smokey "bacon" flavour without the actual bacon.
To add teh smokey flavor that will be missed by the omission of bacon, add just a touch of hickory liquid smoke flavoring. But be careful as it's a very strong flavoring. A few drops goes a long way. And you chowder will gain a wonderfully smokey accent that will ballance perfectly against the salt and the clam sweetness.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None