Big Al's Wicked Good Clam Chowder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
Big Al's Wicked Good Clam Chowder
Yields: 1 ½ gal

This is one of those recipes that my family and I just die for. When it gets colder, I usually make this at least once a month.
You'll notice that I caramelize the bacon, then add the vegetables and seasonings, and caramelize those as well. The reason for this is added flavor. When the vegetables hit the pan, and they start exuding their liquid, they will deglaze the pan a bit. However, once that liquid is cooked off, they will start to caramelize slightly. I look for this point. I'm always scraping the pan bottom trying to work all the good flavor into the vegetables, and once it's gone, I start keeping an eye on the pan bottom to see when the onions start to caramelize a bit. When I start to see color again, I add the clams and juice to deglaze the pan again.
A couple other tips: Cut the bacon last. This lessens the chance of any cross-contamination from the bacon to other things. Also, I find it easier to chop bacon like this when it's frozen. And lastly, don't add any salt until the very end, and taste it first! Then, if it needs salt, add a little. Remember that you are using salt-cured bacon, and salt water shellfish, so there will be plenty of salt in the chowder without needing any more.

8 slices thick sliced bacon, diced fine
1 ½ large onion, diced
1 ½ c celery, diced
1 ½ t Old Bay Seasoning, optional
½ t ground black pepper
1 ½ t tarragon
1 ½ t thyme
1 ½ t garlic, minced
2 # sized potatoes, peeled, and cubed into half inch cubes
33 oz (total) canned chopped sea clams with the juice (around here, that's about 6 cans)
2 8 oz bottles of Clam Juice
1 pt heavy cream
1 pt half and half
½ c corn starch mixed with ½ c water
salt and fresh ground pepper to taste

Fry the bacon in a large, heavy-bottomed stock pot over medium-high until the bacon starts to crisp, and you see lots of color and brown bits in the pan. At this time, add the onions, celery, garlic, pepper, thyme, tarragon, and Old Bay seasoning, if desired. When the onions are translucent and slightly caramelized, add the clams, juice, and potatoes; adding a little water if needed to cover the potatoes. Simmer over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes. Add the cream, half-and-half, and bring to a boil. Add the cornstarch/water slurry and bring back to a boil to tighten the chowder. Taste and season with more salt and pepper if needed.

Last edited:
After a bit of searching, I found your recipe! (you mentioned it in that other thread about clam chowder and celery) Looks good. I don't eat bacon though - do you think it would be okay without the bacon and I just saute the veggies in some olive oil or butter?

I'm sure it would be fine Grumblebee...
a little different from the above but still goooood!

grumblebee do you not eat bacon as well as bacon fat or is it just the meat you do not want? if you can still use the bacon fat, but not include the bacon pieces that that would still work pretty well.

If you object to the fat as well then like pdswife said it would still be good, just different and like Allen said go with butter over the olive oil if you can.

Butter is a good suggestion - and the well-caramelized vegetables will add TONS of flavor. I'd be tempted to start my potatoes cooking by caramelizing them too.

I wonder how just a drop or two of smoke flavoring would work? I'm not a fan of smoke flavoring because I do a lot of cooking on my smoker - but I know a lot of people who use that flavoring and love it.

GB said:
grumblebee do you not eat bacon as well as bacon fat or is it just the meat you do not want? if you can still use the bacon fat, but not include the bacon pieces that that would still work pretty well.

If you object to the fat as well then like pdswife said it would still be good, just different and like Allen said go with butter over the olive oil if you can.

I dont eat any pork/beef/chicken (or lard or any "fats" from those animals) I do eat fish/seafood though.

Anyway, I think you guys are right about using butter. Olive oil might make it taste funny. And kitchenelf, your idea of using smoke flavouring is a good one. That would give it a slightly smokey "bacon" flavour without the actual bacon.

Last edited:
I have had many amazing clam chowders without bacon. I am sure this one will work very well for you grumblebee. Let us know how it turns out.

kitchenelf said:
I wonder how just a drop or two of smoke flavoring would work? I'm not a fan of smoke flavoring because I do a lot of cooking on my smoker - but I know a lot of people who use that flavoring and love it.

Why, WHY!?!? Must you torture me with more ideas of something to try :LOL:

Actually, I'm not sure what a few drops of smoke flavoring would do, but, maybe sub one of the small cans of clams with a can a smoked clams?

AllenMI said:
Actually, I'm not sure what a few drops of smoke flavoring would do, but, maybe sub one of the small cans of clams with a can a smoked clams?

That does sound really good! I am so glad I came on the internet before I headed out to the market this morning. I'm planning on making this chowder this afternoon (and baking some nice bread too! I feel so domestic...LOL :LOL: ) I'm going to use a can of smoked clams and let you know how it works out!

looks good allen. clam chowdah is a fave in my house too. i've never made one before, so i think i'll try your recipe. thanks.

grumblebee said:
That does sound really good! I am so glad I came on the internet before I headed out to the market this morning

things like this make me wonder why foodtv starts it's daily programming at 9:30am on weekdays. what about all of those little old ladies (and me :-p ) that like to get thier food shopping done early, and plan the day's meals just as early?

buckytom said:
things like this make me wonder why foodtv starts it's daily programming at 9:30am on weekdays. what about all of those little old ladies (and me :-p ) that like to get thier food shopping done early, and plan the day's meals just as early?

Hehe.. I'm the same way. I like doing my food shopping EARLY (like right when the store opens) There is usually only a handful of people out shopping at that time and it's so much easier! Plus, planning and preparing things early means relaxing and not stressing about "what's for supper" later on?

Anyhow, I made this chowder tonight and I used smoked clams. It turned out so delicious! I also omitted the bacon and just sauteed the veg in a pat of butter - everything caramalized nicely and the flavour was terrific. The smoked clams really added a nice, subtle flavour - I will be making this again! :)

For those who love a nice, creamy clam chowder, give it a try with the smoked clams... it's really quite delicious.

Last edited:
Yum

AllenMI...this I have to try... sounds too good to be true! Even in this Texas heat!!!

kitchenelf said:
...your wife pays me big bucks to torture you :-p :w00t2:

ROFL! I just showed this to PeppA, and she came >< that close to spraying pop out through her nose and over the screen of my laptop!

Heck, I may have to try the smoked clams once, to see what it tastes like.

Last edited:
grumblebee said:
Hehe.. I'm the same way. I like doing my food shopping EARLY (like right when the store opens) There is usually only a handful of people out shopping at that time and it's so much easier! Plus, planning and preparing things early means relaxing and not stressing about "what's for supper" later on?

grumbl, i like to do my food shopping after working my weekly midnight shifts, around 7:30 or 8am. it's just me, and very short old ladies on a mission.
lol, you wouldn't believe how often i am asked to get stuff form the top shelves :)
there's better selection, especially with meats; the shelves are rarely out of anything; and you begin the day having already accomplished one of your tasks that would be much more time consuming later.

I enjoy going shopping at 1 or 2am every once in a while. The selection stinks, but the people watching is great. You get some real freaks in the supermarket at those times. I wonder if they are looking at me thinking the same thing :LOL:

grumblebee said:
I dont eat any pork/beef/chicken (or lard or any "fats" from those animals) I do eat fish/seafood though.

Anyway, I think you guys are right about using butter. Olive oil might make it taste funny. And kitchenelf, your idea of using smoke flavouring is a good one. That would give it a slightly smokey "bacon" flavour without the actual bacon.

To add teh smokey flavor that will be missed by the omission of bacon, add just a touch of hickory liquid smoke flavoring. But be careful as it's a very strong flavoring. A few drops goes a long way. And you chowder will gain a wonderfully smokey accent that will ballance perfectly against the salt and the clam sweetness.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Back
Top Bottom