BLT Soup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Erik

Sous Chef
I've been thinking about this soup for a few weeks now, plotting, and trying to figure out how I should do this. Finally tonight at work...I decided to put it together. I was on the fence about cooked lettuce, but glad I did it anyway. Here ya go:

BLT SOUP:

Ingredients

• 1/2 pound cooked bacon, chopped
  • 1 head iceberg lettuce, chopped
  • 3 seeded tomatoes, diced
  • 1/4 pound butter
  • 1/2 cup chopped onions
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1/4 cup chopped red pepper
  • 1/4 cup diced garlic
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 1 quart chicken stock
  • 1 pint heavy whipping cream
  • pinch of thyme
  • pinch of nutmeg
  • pinch of basil
  • pinch of tarragon
  • salt and cracked black pepper to taste
  • 1 cup toasted croutons (for garnishing)
In an 8 qt pot, melt butter, sautee bacon, onions, celery, garlic, and red peppers for about 6 minutes.

Add flour, stirring mixture until well blended. Cook about 2 minutes

Add stock, tomatoes, lettuce, spices. Bring to a boil stirring to prevent sticking. When heated through, add heavy cream and warm, but do not boil.

Pour into bowls and garnish with croutons.
Makes 12 servings

Wwouldn't the lettuce fall apart, Maybe spinach would be better or a chinese cabbage. Maybe the "L" can stand for looks like lettuce. But it does sound good and Im going to try it - thanks

wow i never would have thought of blt soup. mmmmm sounds really good too. i love soup. copying and pasting this one.

letscook said:
Wwouldn't the lettuce fall apart, Maybe spinach would be better or a chinese cabbage. Maybe the "L" can stand for looks like lettuce. But it does sound good and Im going to try it - thanks
Iceberg held up pretty good, I probably chopped it a llittle fine, but it worked out OK.

You left toast and the mayonnaise out of the recipe!:mrgreen:

Sounds interesting. I'l have to c&p this for later use.

didn't bacon limp up?

in the past, when I've cooked and crisped up bacon for a dish, and then cooked it with the rest of the ingredients, it's gone all limp and soggy on me. didn't your bacon soften up being cooked with the rest of the ingredients? just curious:ermm: also thinking of something else here...I don't see why you couldn't have added some mayo right at the beginning when you sauteed the bacon and vegetables in the butter or mixed it up with the heavy cream at the end. seems to me, for the person that mentioned about no mayo in there, that it would be perfectly fine doing it if you wanted that flavor too. probably wouldn't have imparted much flavor though:sick: mayo is more for moisture and a fat content as well as 'flavor staying on the tongue':shock: I think, just my thoughts:-p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom