Broccoli Cheddar Soup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HI guys I am new to this forum. I am sure you guys have heard of that soup before, and it is relativley simple to make, but I think i am the only one who doesnt know how to make it lol. :LOL:

I bought the ones from the grocery store, but they taste so bad, so i would like to make it fresh. Have you guys been to a place called Panera Bread? THey have the best brocolli cheddar soup that I have ever tasted. So here are my questionsa and comments:

- I want to use Brocolli, and sliced carrots and possible potatoes for the soup.
- How do I make the cheesy broth of the soup? I dont think the one in panera bread exclusivley uses cheddar, they use that plus something else
-Is there a low fat cheddar/cheese combo that I can purchase? (since I am trying to be more health concious)

Thanks you guys! :chef:

So here are my questionsa and comments:

- I want to use Brocolli, and sliced carrots and possible potatoes for the soup.
- How do I make the cheesy broth of the soup? I dont think the one in panera bread exclusivley uses cheddar, they use that plus something else
-Is there a low fat cheddar/cheese combo that I can purchase? (since I am trying to be more health concious)[/QUOTE]
hi, buffwanabee! it's nice to meet you!
if you want carrots and taters in your soup, go ahead and toss some in. (i love carrots in broccoli soup.)
for the broth, there are a couple ways you can make that but the way i make cheese-based soups is by melting some butter and adding what looks like about the same amount of flour, then whisking, let it cook for a couple of minutes, then whisking in milk and letting it cook for several minutes more till it's nice and thick. add extra milk as needed. add salt and pepper and any other seasonings you like if you want. i just go by what looks like the right amounts.
for your other question, there is reduced cheese on the shelves that you can use in the soup.
let us know how it turns out!:)

Here is one I make and is very good.

1 med. head of brocolli broken into florets

1 med carrot, shredded

1/4 cup or 1/2 cup chopped celery

2 1/2 cups water

2 tsp chicken bouillon granules

3 Tlb.butter or margarin

3 Tlb. flour

salt and pepper to taste

2 cups milk

1 cup shredded chedder cheese

1/2 to 1 tsp hot pepper sauce, ( optional )
Combine the brocilli, carrots, celery, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 12 to 15 min. or until veggies are tender. (do not drain)
In another sauce pan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a low boil over med heat, cook and stir for about 2 min. or until it thickens. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheese until melted. Add hot pepper sauce if desired. Stir into the brocolli mixture. This makes about 2 qts.
Some times I add fried crumbled bacon bits on top.

So the main ingrediants for the broth of brocolli cheddar is:

Cheddar Cheese

Margarine

and Milk?

Has anyone been to panera bread? Has anyone tried their brocolli cheddar soup?

this comes from their web site:

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

Serving Size: 8 oz Sodium: 1000mg Calories: 230 Total Carbohydrate: 13g Total Fat: 16g Dietary Fiber: 1g Saturated Fat: 9g Sugars: 4g Cholesterol: 45mg Protein: 8g
spacer.gif
Ingredients:
Water, whole milk, broccoli, cheddar cheese (milk, cheese culture, salt, enzymes, water, sodium phopshate, milkfat, cellulose powder, salt, APO-carotenal-color), heavy cream, onion, carrot, chicken base (chicken meat including natural chicken juices, hydrolyzed soy and corn protein, potato flour, natural flavorings, autolyzed yeast extract, carrot powder, turmeric), modified food starch, unbleached enriched flour (wheat flour, vitamin C (ascorbic acid added as dough conditioner), enzyme added to improve baking, niacin, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), butter (sweet cream, annatto), canola oil, salt, dijon mustard (water, black mustard seed, vinegar, salt, spices, citric acid, potassium bisulfite), spices, Tabasco (vinegar, red pepper, salt).
Note: Broccoli Cheddar Soup contains chicken.
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Nutritional information provided from calculated results.

Holy Crap thats exactly what I needed! I bet all this stuff is pre-mixed in dry powder form and all they do is add water. Its gonna be absolutley impossible to match exactly the same ingrediants. Thank you so much for your help though i reallly appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom