"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 05-22-2005, 08:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Broccoli Cheddar Soup Problems

Okay, I am having some issues with making this soup... Everytime i make it the cheese doesnt melt smoothly and i end up with a coarse soup.. What would i be doing wrong? Am i adding the cheese when the liquid is too hot, or is it possibly that im using the wrong kind of cheese, i normally use the pre shredded stuff thats fairly cheap... And as for the heat part, This last time i made it I added the cheese soon after I got it up to boiling, and then reduced the temp.. Should i let it cool some first?

Old 05-22-2005, 09:01 PM   #2
Master Chef

i JUST printed this for someone else, hang on and i'll cut and paste. Help - melting cheese for dip.
bump the amounts up to what you need to make a pot of soup. it will make a smooth soup.
BUT take the butter and flour each down to 1 tbsp.
hope this helps.

Old 05-22-2005, 09:19 PM   #3

Grate the cheese yourself and add it while the soup is at a simmer. I think the preshredded stuff is coated with something. Eeewww!!!
Old 05-22-2005, 09:40 PM   #4
Head Chef

Cook it only until the cheese is incorporated. Overcooking cheddar makes it stringy. That's the only thing I can think of off the top of my head.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:59 PM   #5
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by HanArt
Grate the cheese yourself and add it while the soup is at a simmer. I think the preshredded stuff is coated with something. Eeewww!!!
it's coated with starch to prevent sticking. not pleasant!
Old 05-22-2005, 10:25 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Actually, some shredded cheese includes cellulose as an ingredient. That's tech talk for wood.

As HanArt said, shred your own.

Also, I would add the cheese off the heat, when the cooking is done. Too much heat can curdle the cheese. Also, the addition of wine to the soup will help the texture of the melted cheese. That's why there's always alcohol in fondue!
Old 07-06-2005, 10:37 AM   #7
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
Cheese soup

I have bought 'low moisture' or 'low fat' cheese by mistake and find it does not melt as it should.

Personally I would never purchase low fat anything. I enjoy full flavored foods and would rather discipline myself to eat less, but better foods. This is a discipline I have not mastered, but I keep telling myself as I purchase butter and chunks of real cheese.

Bryan
Knox's Spice Co.
http://www.knoxspice.com
Old 07-06-2005, 02:59 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I have tried this again recently using the blocks of cheese and grating it myself and had the same outcome... The next time im just going to try velveeta, since it melts smooth regardless... and then when i can afford another experimental batch ill attempt to melt the cheese in a seperate pot and then add it to soup
Old 07-06-2005, 03:11 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

When you feel like experimenting again, add a little white wine to the broth. The when you're finished cooking the broth, take it off the heat and gradually stir in the cheese you shredded yourself. There's more than enough heat in the liquid to melt the cheese.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:40 PM   #10
Master Chef

You don't have to change the recipe, or the ingredients, but you do need to change your technique. Make your soup and then remove it from the heat before you whisk in the cheese. If cheddar gets anywhere near boiling it will get grainey - according to Alton Brown in the episode I saw last night.

Tags
None