Broke my fat seperator, any ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jayprice7

Assistant Cook
Making some stock for a turkey soup. I guess the stock was still too hot when I poured some into my plastic fat seperator and it cracked. I don't have time to wait for it to cool in the fridge or freezer and skim the solidified fat. I was thinking of using a garden watering can (well rinsed) but the spout doesn't come down near as low on the main chamber as my fat seperator. Any other ideas or suggestions to get the fat out of the stock?

I have heard lettuce leaves work. Swish them around the stock and then throw out. I am not sure how much fat it will really get out though.

What I usually do is just skim the fat off the top.

It takes a bit of time, but not all that long.

Just take a spoon and remove the layer of fat floating on the water gently.

You can see the glistening fatty layer floating on the more dense water below.

Some folks, when the fat is almost gone, will carefully take some paper towels, and, one sheet at a time, gently absorb the rest by briefly touching the flat towel to the surface of the stock.

Usually do not bother.

Just the way I do it when I am out of time.

Prefer the leave it to cool overnight method.

I tried some form of all of these, here's my results:

Lettuce: didn't have it, but had some napa cabbage - didn't help noticably

Spoon: tediously long

Cheese cloth: ok, but some fat goes back into stock with each dip

My solution = cheese cloth + slotted spoon: wrapping a slotted spoon in cheesecloth and dragging it around the bowl removed nearly every visible speck of fat. In fact, it worked so well that I may not even buy another fat seperator.

Thanks folks for all the ideas.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom