Calling All Pork Lovers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
It's that time again, when money's tight and I have to get creative. So as I was looking in the freezer, I noticed 3 cups of frozen broth from the last set of ribs that were parboiled in the slow cooker. The ribs had a dry rub on them that everyone around here likes, and so the broth was flavored with brown sugar, onion, chili powder, and garlic. I also had a small amount of left-over frozen peas, and three packages of home made mild, breakfast sausage patties, seasoned for the DW and cooked over charcoal. I thought to myself, "Self, we're gonna invent a new soup tonight.

Gotta tell ya, it's yummy. You can almost feel the succulent rib meat in your mouth. You can certainly taste it. Add to that the subtle flavor of the veggies, and mushrooms... Ah well, you know where I'm going with that. The rice gives the whole thin body, without masking any pf the other flavors.

The whole thing is delicious, So I'm sharing.

Ingredients:
8 pork sausage patties,that were cooked over charcoal
2 stalks celery, washed & sliced
1/2 cup frozen peas
1 onion, chopped into chunks
1/2 cup leftover sauteed mushrooms
2 cups water
1 carrot, sliced thin
1/4 cup long grain rice.
3 cups leftover rib broth
2 tbs. cooking oil

Break the sausage patties into small chunks. Heat a SS pot over medium heat for three minutes. Add 3 tbs of cooking oil to the pot.

Now, Put the onion and celery into the hot pot and stir for 5 minutes. Add the sliced mushrooms, peas, and carrots, along with the sausage. Stir the mixture every couple minutes.. Add the rice and water to the pot and let boil for 10 minutes.

Test to see if the rice and veggies are done. If so, add the broth. Let heat through. Serve with crusty, warm, buttered bread.

During the cold autumn days and nights, this soup is a winner.:)
Try it. Maybe add some black pepper. In any case, enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

whenever I have broth that I save like that, I like if there is a nice layer of fat that rises to the top before freezing. It makes me think the juices have an extra seal.

Yep, it did have that fat layer at the top of the bag (about two inches worth), that had to be removed. Also, because of the dissolved collagen, it was gelled (to me, the sing of a great broth or stock). The flavor was just a little sweet from the brown sugar, and had to be tamed with additional salt and chili powder.

Other than that, it was really good. The grilled sausage patties weren't wood-smokey, if you know what I mean. Instead, they had the grilled flavor that comes from fat dripping into the hot coals, and the resultant smoke that flavors the meat, like a grilled steak, or burger, only with pork sausage. That flavor, combined with the smokey goodness of Barbecued rib broth (wood-smoke flavor from the barbecued rib bones added to the slow cooker broth) made for a very flavorful soup. The rice, veggies (especially carrot, celery, and onion) added their own special flavors the soup.

I can only imagine what a soup could be made from barbecuing something liek a rib roast over a drip pan, and using the resultant broth. Wow, would that be great. Forget about the au jus. Next time I make a rib roast, I'm going to try this.:mrgreen::yum:

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Thanks Chief,
like the looks of this and have it booked for one of MA's Sunday dinners.
kades

Back
Top Bottom