"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups
Old 07-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #11
Executive Chef
Send a message via MSN to YT2095
the Chicken and mushroom`s good too, but either with a little garlic added and heated up as it is out the can and then tossed in pasta it pure excellence :)

So long and Thanks for all the Fish ;)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:10 PM   #12
Senior Cook
We grew up on Campbell's as well. Mom never had cr. of mush to eat, she did cook with it. I always loved the tomato with milk in it as a kid. I have had cream of asparagus to eat. It wasn't great. The roasted garlic cream of mushroom is pretty good.

carolelaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 03:24 PM   #13
Head Chef
Funny I never thought of eating cream of mushroom soup as soup. I am not a soup lover of any kind but once in awhile Campbell's tomato soup with a grilled cheese sure hits the spot.
elaine l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:04 PM   #14
Senior Cook
Send a message via Yahoo to muzzlet
Good idea YT2095. I'll have to try that. Thanks for letting me know all your responses! I'm so glad I found this place.
And yes, nothing beats a bowl of Campbell's Tomato Soup (made with milk, of course) and a grilled cheese sandwhich!!
muzzlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #15
Master Chef
I still love many of the foods i grew up eating. I liked them as a kid, so why not eat them now. I eat my Campbell's Cream of mushroom soup by straining the mushroom pieces into my cheek as I force the liquid between my clenched teeth. Then, when my cheeks look like a chipmunks, and the creamy liquid is gone, I chew up the mushroom mass and enjoy that last bite completely.

But then, I love to skin the smooth outside "skin" from regular skinless hot dogs with my teeth, and then eating the middle tube. As a kid, it was a way of passing the time, and entertaining myself when eating at my Dad's house. He always gave me cold hot dogs as a snack. I had other unique ways of playing games with my food, none of them messy. But the short answer to the question is yes. I still love canned mushroom soup, especially when made with whole milk or with a bit of fresh cream added.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 05:30 PM   #16
Executive Chef
I also love Tomato Soup with grilled cheese sandwich or tuna or a tuna melt.
jpmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:23 PM   #17
I only use it in recipes. I think it might be the most processed tasting of all Campbell's soups, and that's saying something because it isn't as though any of them taste freshly made. Once a tanker full of Campbell's cream of mushroom overturned on a freeway here. What a mess that was!
mercyteapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:55 PM   #18
Head Chef
Like Jennyema, I make all my own soups and this is my forte. However, I still keep a few cans of Campbell soups in my pantry for quickie lunches. Chicken noodle, beef barley, tomato and cream of mushroom. When I make the Cream of mushroom soup, I always add about 6 mushrooms sliced and sauteed. It gives the canned soup more mushroom flavor and some texture. I use half can water, half can milk then serve with a few crackers or croutons. Tastes pretty good. When I make the tomato soup, I chop a tomato sauteed in olive oil, seasoned with something good and add sliced fresh basil if I have it on hand. Add some sundried tomato flavored Wheat Thin crackers and WOW. You can make a canned soup taste good if you use your imagnation.
Visit my blogsite: Chew On This
DramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Always have some canned soup in the pantry. Usually cream of celery, cream of mushroom and tomato. Add me to the tomato soup (made with milk) and grilled cheese sandwich crowd.

The only time I will eat cream of mushroom soup as soup is when I'm feeling poorly. Then, I mix it with milk and eat it with plenty of saltine crackers. There's just something comforting about it for me. However, I only do this about every couple of years or so.
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 03:52 PM   #20
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
I have four cans of Progresso soup, in the microwavable package, in my desk drawer. Sometimes, if it is really cold and all I brought was a cold sandwich for lunch, I'll pop a can of the Progresso into the microwave to accompny my sandwich. At home, the only canned soup I have is Campbell's Tomato, because it's the only commercially available tomato soup to which you can add milk or cream, and I like nothing better on a cold (relatively speaking, I am in California after all) friday night than a big bowl of cream of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Caine is offline   Reply With Quote