Campbell's Cream of Mushroom as Soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muzzlet

Senior Cook
Just wondering if anyone actually eats Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup as soup, or just uses it in recipes. I was using it in the Beef Stroganoff I'm making for dinner tonite, and I just realized, I have never actually eaten the stuff as soup! Just curious. Of course, we don't need hear from those food snobs who disdain the use of anything so prosaic as "canned soup". :LOL:

We grew up on Campbell's soups, all of them... My mother made homemade chicken noodle soup, or beef noodle soup. Other than that, if we had soup, it was from a can and it was almost always Campbells. One of the first things my mother taught me to cook was the soup. Open the can, scrape out the contents, add a can of milk. Stir till hot and all the lumps are gone.:ermm:

When I was 17, I had a job in a clothing store. The assistant manager, a woman from england (she called her cigarettes 'fags') was shocked to hear about cream of mushroom soup in a can. I asked her what kind she ate...and she told me how she made her own, from scratch. I was equally shocked...it never dawned on me that those soups could be made from scratch.

There are still a few flavours of Campbells I'll eat as soup. Mostly, if I'm not going to make it from scratch, I'll eat Progresso soup, now.

With the exception of making macaroni and cheese with the cheddar cheese soup, I've never cooked with the soups.

Last edited:
:) I like Campbells soup especially the Tomato I like the Barley Beef and a few others I dont have it very often.Granted homemade is always better but sometimes you just want a little soup with a sandwich so canned is fine.I cook very little with the canned soups but not as much as most people.Besides some people cant afford to buy all the ingredients to make a soup and its great for feeding kids they love all the chicken noodle soups.Besides it is what it is, a quick way to have some soup when the mood hits you.

While I love making different soups from scratch, I always have several cans of Campbell's in the pantry. Always "Cream of Mushroom", along with both New England & Manhattan Clam Chowders, & whatever just catches my eye at the moment. I particularly like the "Pepperpot", since I'm the only one besides my parents who likes tripe - lol!! I also find them invaluable to have in my "storm" pantry for if/when we lose power for any length of time, as they're easy to heat up on my little gas camp stove for a quick meal.

And while I usually use Campbell's "Cream of Mushroom" in a number of delicious dishes, I've also had it as soup, albeit "spiked" up a little. As in I've sauteed up whatever mushrooms I might have sitting in the fridge (white button, cremini, shitake, etc.) in some butter, added a splash of dry sherry, & a dash of dried or fresh thyme, & added them to the heated soup. Definitely turns a can of soup into something a little more special. But it's not that bad all by itself either.

I'm like Vera Blue, we grew up on canned soup, and canned veggies *Stick finger down throat* I now use them for emergencies only and for additions to dishes.

And I like Uncle Bob, use them now rarely if ever. I now use canned soups only for dishes I am making and for consuming... I only make homemade soups. If people knew how simple it was to make soups, they would make them more often.

My vegetable soup consists of anything that is about to grow fur and needs to hit the soup pot before the garbage can.

Though I love to make homemade soup, I eat canned soups all the time, particularly at work.

I confess to eating Campbell's mushroom soup with a small can of mushrooms added to it maybe once every year or two because I used to love that as a kid.

I don't ever cook with it.

I rather like some of the canned soups.
Wedding Soup, Italian Sausage & Pepperoni,
Minestrone, and some others.
Not too thrilled with regular Campbells soups though.
And never even considered Cream of Mushroom as
an eating soup, LOL!

My daughter used to like cream of mushroom as a soup...especially if she had a toasted cheese sandwich to dip in it.

I eat a lot of canned soups for lunch, especially in the winter. If I find them a little bland, I perk them up with a little extra seasoning. If you check out the labels, you'll find that there are many that are low in fat. Sodium is another matter.
Progresso is good, but I like the Cambell's Chunky soups even better. Some of them are really delicious. They have a smoked chicken and corn chowder that I wouldn't be ashamed to serve company. Pepper steak, grilled sirloin with mushrooms, herb-roasted chicken and vegetable, beef and barley, split pea, clam chowder, and pork roast with vegetables are some of my other faveorites.

I just cook with Cream of Mushroom myself. The closest I’ve ever come to just eating it plain is when, in a pinch, I made a quick gravy. I added a small cube steak to a pot, the CoM, and a 1/2 can of water. Boiled it for 15 minutes or so to cook the cube steak and release the juices (for flavor) into the CoM, took the meat out (save it for later), whisked the soup mixture, and served it as gravy over mashed potatoes. Good stuff.

the Chicken and mushroom`s good too, but either with a little garlic added and heated up as it is out the can and then tossed in pasta it pure excellence :)

We grew up on Campbell's as well. Mom never had cr. of mush to eat, she did cook with it. I always loved the tomato with milk in it as a kid. I have had cream of asparagus to eat. It wasn't great. The roasted garlic cream of mushroom is pretty good.

Funny I never thought of eating cream of mushroom soup as soup. I am not a soup lover of any kind but once in awhile Campbell's tomato soup with a grilled cheese sure hits the spot.

Good idea YT2095. I'll have to try that. Thanks for letting me know all your responses! I'm so glad I found this place.
And yes, nothing beats a bowl of Campbell's Tomato Soup (made with milk, of course) and a grilled cheese sandwhich!!

I still love many of the foods i grew up eating. I liked them as a kid, so why not eat them now. I eat my Campbell's Cream of mushroom soup by straining the mushroom pieces into my cheek as I force the liquid between my clenched teeth. Then, when my cheeks look like a chipmunks, and the creamy liquid is gone, I chew up the mushroom mass and enjoy that last bite completely.

But then, I love to skin the smooth outside "skin" from regular skinless hot dogs with my teeth, and then eating the middle tube. As a kid, it was a way of passing the time, and entertaining myself when eating at my Dad's house. He always gave me cold hot dogs as a snack. I had other unique ways of playing games with my food, none of them messy. But the short answer to the question is yes. I still love canned mushroom soup, especially when made with whole milk or with a bit of fresh cream added.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
I only use it in recipes. I think it might be the most processed tasting of all Campbell's soups, and that's saying something because it isn't as though any of them taste freshly made. Once a tanker full of Campbell's cream of mushroom overturned on a freeway here. What a mess that was!

Like Jennyema, I make all my own soups and this is my forte. However, I still keep a few cans of Campbell soups in my pantry for quickie lunches. Chicken noodle, beef barley, tomato and cream of mushroom. When I make the Cream of mushroom soup, I always add about 6 mushrooms sliced and sauteed. It gives the canned soup more mushroom flavor and some texture. I use half can water, half can milk then serve with a few crackers or croutons. Tastes pretty good. When I make the tomato soup, I chop a tomato sauteed in olive oil, seasoned with something good and add sliced fresh basil if I have it on hand. Add some sundried tomato flavored Wheat Thin crackers and WOW. You can make a canned soup taste good if you use your imagnation.

Always have some canned soup in the pantry. Usually cream of celery, cream of mushroom and tomato. Add me to the tomato soup (made with milk) and grilled cheese sandwich crowd.

The only time I will eat cream of mushroom soup as soup is when I'm feeling poorly. Then, I mix it with milk and eat it with plenty of saltine crackers. There's just something comforting about it for me. However, I only do this about every couple of years or so.

I have four cans of Progresso soup, in the microwavable package, in my desk drawer. Sometimes, if it is really cold and all I brought was a cold sandwich for lunch, I'll pop a can of the Progresso into the microwave to accompny my sandwich. At home, the only canned soup I have is Campbell's Tomato, because it's the only commercially available tomato soup to which you can add milk or cream, and I like nothing better on a cold (relatively speaking, I am in California after all) friday night than a big bowl of cream of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Back
Top Bottom