"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 07-25-2007, 07:00 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to muzzlet
Campbell's Cream of Mushroom as Soup?

Just wondering if anyone actually eats Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup as soup, or just uses it in recipes. I was using it in the Beef Stroganoff I'm making for dinner tonite, and I just realized, I have never actually eaten the stuff as soup! Just curious. Of course, we don't need hear from those food snobs who disdain the use of anything so prosaic as "canned soup".

Old 07-25-2007, 07:14 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Cook with it period! We don't eat any canned soup just to be eating it.

Enjoy!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
Executive Chef

We grew up on Campbell's soups, all of them... My mother made homemade chicken noodle soup, or beef noodle soup. Other than that, if we had soup, it was from a can and it was almost always Campbells. One of the first things my mother taught me to cook was the soup. Open the can, scrape out the contents, add a can of milk. Stir till hot and all the lumps are gone.

When I was 17, I had a job in a clothing store. The assistant manager, a woman from england (she called her cigarettes 'fags') was shocked to hear about cream of mushroom soup in a can. I asked her what kind she ate...and she told me how she made her own, from scratch. I was equally shocked...it never dawned on me that those soups could be made from scratch.

There are still a few flavours of Campbells I'll eat as soup. Mostly, if I'm not going to make it from scratch, I'll eat Progresso soup, now.

With the exception of making macaroni and cheese with the cheddar cheese soup, I've never cooked with the soups.
Old 07-25-2007, 08:16 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I like Campbells soup especially the Tomato I like the Barley Beef and a few others I dont have it very often.Granted homemade is always better but sometimes you just want a little soup with a sandwich so canned is fine.I cook very little with the canned soups but not as much as most people.Besides some people cant afford to buy all the ingredients to make a soup and its great for feeding kids they love all the chicken noodle soups.Besides it is what it is, a quick way to have some soup when the mood hits you.
Old 07-25-2007, 09:46 PM   #5
Master Chef

While I love making different soups from scratch, I always have several cans of Campbell's in the pantry. Always "Cream of Mushroom", along with both New England & Manhattan Clam Chowders, & whatever just catches my eye at the moment. I particularly like the "Pepperpot", since I'm the only one besides my parents who likes tripe - lol!! I also find them invaluable to have in my "storm" pantry for if/when we lose power for any length of time, as they're easy to heat up on my little gas camp stove for a quick meal.

And while I usually use Campbell's "Cream of Mushroom" in a number of delicious dishes, I've also had it as soup, albeit "spiked" up a little. As in I've sauteed up whatever mushrooms I might have sitting in the fridge (white button, cremini, shitake, etc.) in some butter, added a splash of dry sherry, & a dash of dried or fresh thyme, & added them to the heated soup. Definitely turns a can of soup into something a little more special. But it's not that bad all by itself either.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:03 AM   #6
Cook

I'm like Vera Blue, we grew up on canned soup, and canned veggies *Stick finger down throat* I now use them for emergencies only and for additions to dishes.

And I like Uncle Bob, use them now rarely if ever. I now use canned soups only for dishes I am making and for consuming... I only make homemade soups. If people knew how simple it was to make soups, they would make them more often.

My vegetable soup consists of anything that is about to grow fur and needs to hit the soup pot before the garbage can.

The Cooking Lady
Treklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 11:06 AM   #7
Master Chef

Though I love to make homemade soup, I eat canned soups all the time, particularly at work.

I confess to eating Campbell's mushroom soup with a small can of mushrooms added to it maybe once every year or two because I used to love that as a kid.

I don't ever cook with it.
Old 07-26-2007, 11:27 AM   #8
Head Chef

I rather like some of the canned soups.
Wedding Soup, Italian Sausage & Pepperoni,
Minestrone, and some others.
Not too thrilled with regular Campbells soups though.
And never even considered Cream of Mushroom as
an eating soup, LOL!
Old 07-26-2007, 11:35 AM   #9
Master Chef

My daughter used to like cream of mushroom as a soup...especially if she had a toasted cheese sandwich to dip in it.

I eat a lot of canned soups for lunch, especially in the winter. If I find them a little bland, I perk them up with a little extra seasoning. If you check out the labels, you'll find that there are many that are low in fat. Sodium is another matter.
Progresso is good, but I like the Cambell's Chunky soups even better. Some of them are really delicious. They have a smoked chicken and corn chowder that I wouldn't be ashamed to serve company. Pepper steak, grilled sirloin with mushrooms, herb-roasted chicken and vegetable, beef and barley, split pea, clam chowder, and pork roast with vegetables are some of my other faveorites.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #10
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to keltin
I just cook with Cream of Mushroom myself. The closest Ive ever come to just eating it plain is when, in a pinch, I made a quick gravy. I added a small cube steak to a pot, the CoM, and a 1/2 can of water. Boiled it for 15 minutes or so to cook the cube steak and release the juices (for flavor) into the CoM, took the meat out (save it for later), whisked the soup mixture, and served it as gravy over mashed potatoes. Good stuff.

Tags
None