Can I substitute....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addie

Chef Extraordinaire
I want to make a mushroom/barley soup when the cold weather comes. The recipe calls or vegetable broth. I am not a big fan of vegetable broth based soups. Can I substitute chicken or even beef broth?

I do have the BTB Vegetable, Low Sodium. I can't remember why I even bought it or what I used it for. The recipe also calls for carrots, onions and celery. I feel like that is all the vegetable flavor the soup needs. :angel:

I want to make a mushroom/barley soup when the cold weather comes. The recipe calls or vegetable broth. I am not a big fan of vegetable broth based soups. Can I substitute chicken or even beef broth?

I do have the BTB Vegetable, Low Sodium. I can't remember why I even bought it or what I used it for. The recipe also calls for carrots, onions and celery. I feel like that is all the vegetable flavor the soup needs. :angel:

Of course you can. I'm surprised that you haven't subbed out simple soup ingredients before, after raising a large family and being married to a chef. :chef: I can't remember the last time I followed a soup recipe to the letter. Go for it, and make it how you like it.

Last edited:
Of course you can. I'm surprised that you haven't subbed out simple soup ingredients before, after raising a large family and being married to a chef. :chef: I can't remember the last time I followed a soup recipe to the letter. Go for it, and make it how you like it.

I have always used a beef stock for any soup with barley. But this recipe is the first one I have ever come across that calls for four cups or more of vegetable stock. No meat flavoring at all. It seems like such an inordinate amount that I questioned it. Quite often I will combine beef and chicken to create a mock veal stock.

I just made myself a cup of hot beef bullion. Tired of coffee. :angel:

I have always used a beef stock for any soup with barley. But this recipe is the first one I have ever come across that calls for four cups or more of vegetable stock. No meat flavoring at all. It seems like such an inordinate amount that I questioned it. Quite often I will combine beef and chicken to create a mock veal stock.

I just made myself a cup of hot beef bullion. Tired of coffee. :angel:

I'ts probably a vegetarian or vegan recipe. I would sub with beef, no question.

I'd probably use chicken stock anyway (unless I was catering for vegetarians, of course)

Beef stock might be a bit invasive a flavour and drown the flavour of the veg but others may think differently.

agree with everyone else on the meat stocks and you can't go wrong with adding extra onions/garlic, either........`i love barley in my soups!

In this house, you can never have too much garlic. I am with you on the barley also. It is the main reason I want to make the soup. For the barley. :angel:

Back
Top Bottom