Can you tell me the name of this soup?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firefox280

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone. I'm new here so sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

My question concerns a soup. My grandmother has been making it for years for the family, and for a while now we've been wondering what it is actually called. All that she remembers is that her mother gave her the recipe.

Our guess is that the soup is Italian, but anyways, the recipe is something like this.

It is composed mainly of large doughy dumplings. These are filled with small cubes of salami and stuffed with croutons, and boiled in a pot of broth. I'm not sure about exact measurements or details, but if you know anything, your input is appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

-Pat

Welcome Firefox!!

These sound like Canederli to me, a speciality from the Tyrol region of Italy.
Yummy things they are too, and as usual, the Italians have created a wonderful, tasty dish utilising leftovers.:) :)

they boil them in water here until done, but they also serve them in soup as you mention above. this is from the trentino-alto adige region in Northern Italy

CANEDERLI

6 slices / 250 g stale white bread (5 cups when diced)
3 eggs
1 cup / 250 ml milk
1/4 lb / 100 g bacon, finely diced
1 onion
1 bunch flat leaf parsley
2 oz / 50 g salami
6 tbsp AP flour
salt and pepper
grated nutmeg

dice the bread place in a bowl. mix the eggs and milk, pour over the bread leave to stand for 20 mins. dice onions finely. chop the parsley, saute diced bacon until the fat runs, then add the onion and half the parsley, saute for 2 mins.
dice the salami finely and add to the pan, along w remaining parsley. stir to mix, then add all of the soaked bread. fold in the flour and season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
bring about 3 pints or 1.5 liters of water to a boil. with wet hands form 10 evenly sized dumplings and cook until done.

http://www.amazon.com/Italy-Culinar...=pd_bbs_1/104-1606620-4900744?ie=UTF8&s=books

Seven S said:
they boil them in water here until done, but they also serve them in soup as you mention above. this is from the trentino-alto adige region in Northern Italy

CANEDERLI

6 slices / 250 g stale white bread (5 cups when diced)
3 eggs
1 cup / 250 ml milk
1/4 lb / 100 g bacon, finely diced
1 onion
1 bunch flat leaf parsley
2 oz / 50 g salami
6 tbsp AP flour
salt and pepper
grated nutmeg

dice the bread place in a bowl. mix the eggs and milk, pour over the bread leave to stand for 20 mins. dice onions finely. chop the parsley, saute diced bacon until the fat runs, then add the onion and half the parsley, saute for 2 mins.
dice the salami finely and add to the pan, along w remaining parsley. stir to mix, then add all of the soaked bread. fold in the flour and season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
bring about 3 pints or 1.5 liters of water to a boil. with wet hands form 10 evenly sized dumplings and cook until done.

http://www.amazon.com/Italy-Culinaria-Claudia-Piras/dp/3829029012/sr=8-1/qid=1157268151/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-1606620-4900744?ie=UTF8&s=books

Sounds yummy.

I have had Canederli presented to me tennis ball size!! And 3 of them to boot.:( :rolleyes:
Whatever recipe you choose, and there will be many out there in cyberland, just make walnut sized balls and cook in a tasty broth. If you ever have access to fresh porcini, cook some off and add to your mixture.
Veeeeery nice.:chef:

Yes, we have discovered Canederli (or Knodel, in the local language German) while we were in Alto Adige... they are great

img_317856_0_bfec26a79a819298ee5f40d2c5d2a04c.jpg

And yes, they were as big as tennis ball, or even baseball!!:ohmy:
(this was from the local "gasthof" where we dined, I also made some the other day... also just as big... then you need to boil them a bit longer, 15-20minutes)

Once you master the basic recipe, you can do many variations with different fillings, like spinach, different cheeses and salumi, mushrooms, also there are sweet versions for hearty desserts.

The most popular way to serve them is in the broth, but it is also delicious with various type of rich sauces, I made a creamy mushroom sauce with white wine and sour cream for them, that was prrrrrfect!!

Last edited:
Lynan, I know exactly what you mean! My grandmother makes these things enormous. Saying hers are the size of tennis balls might be an understatement. Thanks everyone for the replies, I'm sure my family will be glad to finally find out what they've been eating all these years.

Urmaniac.....:LOL: now those canederli are what you call ' whoppers' lolololol.

Firefox....does your Grandmother have an Italian or Austrian lineage? I ask just as Im curious as to why canederli have been eaten in your family a long time. If you adore her recipe, WRITE IT DOWN!! I lament all my precious mums recipes that I never got around to archiving.:(

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom