"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Soups, Stews & Casseroles > Soups

Old 02-12-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Canned soup for emergencies

I was thinking about how many people are sick right now and wondered what could be some good tasting canned soups that could be kept for emergencies. It is nice to have fresh or even frozen soups, but that doesn't always happen when one is sick. Do you have any ideas about what could be kept in the pantry for such a time?

Old 02-12-2006, 06:09 PM   #2
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
I'm a big fan of Campbell's Chicken Noodle soup. There are a few different varieties now, but I'm all for the original too. That's what I recall from growing up, and that's what we have on hand here now.

Old 02-12-2006, 06:15 PM   #3
Master Chef

Licia, there are some delicious canned soups available now. Progresso makes some good ones...clam chowder, Grilled Chicken Italiano, and Chicken & Wild Rice are particularly good. I like the Beef and barley once in a while, too.
Campbells' Chunky makes GREAT soups...some so good I could put them in a pot and serve to company, and my guests would never guess they are canned. Smoked chicken and corn chowder, Split pea with ham, potatoes and carrots, Roasted chicken/vegetable and Chicken and noodle are some of my faves, but there are many more.
Of course, all those soups are high in sodium. For a lower sodium soup, try Healthy Choice Chicken noodle or Hearty chicken vegetable. The Chicken Noodle would be my choice for my "patient".
The reason I know all these soups is that I have a can of soup almost every day for lunch. I (usually) pick the lower fat soups. They are filling, satisfying, and healthier than a lunchmeat sandwich. And depending on where we buy the soups, I get a wholesome lunch for between $1.50-$2.50.

I've always had a problem with canned beef soups, though. Even the best ones, like Chunky grilled sirloin with mushrooms and vegies, always taste "canned". I have discovered that if I add garlic herb seasoning and a few drops of hot sauce, they aren't bad.

By the way, BigDog, I alwys keep Campbell's Chicken Noodle on hand. You can't be a mom or a grandma without it.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:25 PM   #4
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
By the way, BigDog, I alwys keep Campbell's Chicken Noodle on hand. You can't be a mom or a grandma without it.
It's engraved into my psychi. Sick = eat Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup. I like the Nabisco Premium Saltines along with it. In the Big Dog kitchen (well, pantry) it's the original for yours truly, and Homestyle for Mrs. Big Dog. I'll cheat and use the Homestyle too on occasion.

Even if your not sick, t'aint nothing like a good bowl of CCNS and grilled cheese. I know, Tomato Soup is the tradition, but I'm not a big fan of it.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:51 PM   #5
Head Chef

The best canned soup, to us, is Dominique's U.S. Senate Bean Soup.

It apparently is made by the same recipe they have been making for over one hundred years in the Senate's restaurant.

Just Google if you want the recipe. It is in the public domain.

The canned version is fine soup, but pricey. We find it in our local supermarkets.

When it is cold, and you are sick, it is a very warming soup.
Old 02-12-2006, 06:57 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Thanks. I think I will just print this out as an addition to my grocery list. It is always nice to have something easy to prepare (especially if I'm the one who is sick, since DH can only fry eggs). Possibly he could use a canopener and heat some soup.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:00 PM   #7
Executive Chef

If I eat canned soup I always go for Cambells tomato soup its goes well with a tuna or grilled cheese sandwich I also like Cambells barley beef soup.
Of course homemade is best but in a pinch canned soup is not too bad I ate alot of Cambells as a kid, especially the tomato soup so its kinda a comfort food for me.
On the other hand there are alot of soups you can make from scratch and then freeze in small batches which are nice to have even when you are not sick.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #8
Master Chef

If I have a cold or stuffy head ... chicken noodle. Scientists have studied this "phenomena" and can't say how/why it works - they can just confirm that it does.

I also always have some raman noodle soups on hand - and some oyster sauce.

For canned - I prefer either a bean (bean with bacon, black bean, split pea) or a "cream of" ... take your pick.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:17 PM   #9
Executive Chef

He better be able to heat soup up for you! My choice for soups are progresso, particularly the chicarina soup which has pearl pasta, meatballs, and lots of veggies. Campbells chicken noodle soup is always good. Since your sick, and hot beverage would be good for you. Try tea, hot water with lemon and sugar, and of course soup.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:19 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I'm not sick, but my dd came back from Alaska quite sick, so it started my thought processes going. I'm eating so much citrus the germs have quite a time getting to me, but just in case I want dh to be able to open a can at least.

Tags
None